cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIMITS JOBS PER POLICY

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi,

I ran a policy containig some  paths in backup selections. Then after sometime I got that I have missed some paths to be added in backup selections of the same policy.The policy was running.

I opened the backup selections of the running policy and deleted the paths that I had specified before because they were already triggered. I added the missed paths and then saved the changes. I once again ran the policy (althogh it was already running but with some other paths defined in backup selections).

Now it is showing me as -

Info nbjm(pid=8520) starting backup job (jobid=1765) for client mailfiler1, policy NDMPBackup_SMESnapshots_mailfiler1, schedule Full 
Info nbjm(pid=8520) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=1765, request id:{CA43BAD8-E0ED-4572-8400-1FD475C73BAE}) 
requesting resource mailfiler1
requesting resource mailbck1.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.mailfiler1
requesting resource mailbck1.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NDMPBackup_SMESnapshots_mailfiler1
Info nbrb(pid=6112) Limit has been reached for the logical resource mailbck1.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.mailfiler1

Also in the policy attribute the "Limits jobs per policy" option is not checked. I have blank tapes in the pool from where the backup is to be written.

Check the attachment.

How can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

GUI -> HOST Properties -> Master Server -> Select Master Server, right click , properties -> Global Attributes -> Maximum jobs per clients.

Lift value to e.g 8 or 10.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

GUI -> HOST Properties -> Master Server -> Select Master Server, right click , properties -> Global Attributes -> Maximum jobs per clients.

Lift value to e.g 8 or 10.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for the above post.

I dont want to create a different forum discussion for this, I want to know how to have different vslues maximum jobs per client for different clients. e.g.  for one client the value should be 1, for other client value should be 2, etc.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Similar to Nicolai's post, but it's under 'Client Attributes' as opposed to Global.

If the client isn't in the list then [Add...] it and set the 'Maximum data streams' to an appropriate level.

smith_jones
Level 6

Is the meaning of  "Maximum jobs per policy" same as the the "Maximum data streams" in this case?  If yes the value of maximum data streams is showing as zero by default. That means zero backup job should happen for that client?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

From the context sensitive help:

The Maximum data streams property specifies the maximum number of jobs that are allowed at one time for each selected client. (This value applies to the number of jobs on the client, even if multistreaming is not used.)

To change the setting, select Maximum data streams. Then scroll to or enter a value up to 99. Maximum data streams interacts with the Maximum jobs per client and Limit jobs per policy as follows:

• If Maximum data streams is not set, the limit is either Maximum jobs per client or Limit jobs per policy, whichever is lower.

• If Maximum data streams is set, NetBackup ignores Maximum jobs per client. NetBackup uses either Maximum data streams or Limit jobs per policy, whichever is lower.

The 'Maximum jobs per policy' limits the number of jobs/streams that can be actively backing up at any one time (rest will queue) from a specific policy.

smith_jones
Level 6

Great !!!  Very useful for me.

Happy to know it.

Thanks to you and all.  :)

smith_jones
Level 6

Hold Hold !

Just got one question.

If Maximum data streams is not set that is no clients are added in master properties --> client attributes, nothing is checked.

Now if maximum jobs per client is set to 1, does that mean it is applicable for all clients? Because this setting is not present inside any policy (so that only clients added in that policy will be effected by this value), this option is present in master properties.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"Now if maximum jobs per client is set to 1, does that mean it is applicable for all clients?"

- yes, because max data streams is not set.

Because this setting is not present inside any policy (so that only clients added in that policy will be effected by this value), this option is present in master properties.

- not sure what your query is here.

smith_jones
Level 6

I understood your answers.

Now,

There are three cases-

Case-1 :

1>  Right click any policy ---> change ---> there is option "Limit jobs per policy"   Suppose I changed it to 1.

2>  Master Server host properties --> Global Attributes ---> there is option "Maximum jobs per client"  Suppose I changed it to 2.

3>  Master Server host properties ---> Client attributes --->  I checked nothing there. No client was added.

As the "Limit jobs per policy" has lower value so it will be given more priority. Now tell me if all the clients are effected by this value or only the clients which are selected in the policy will be effected by this value?

Case-2 :

2.1> Right click any policy ---> change ---> there is option "Limit jobs per policy" Suppose I changed it to 2.

2> Master Server host properties --> Global Attributes ---> there is option "Maximum jobs per client" Suppose I changed it to 1.

3> Master Server host properties ---> Client attributes ---> I checked nothing there. No client was added.

As the "Maximum jobs per client" has lower value so it will be given more priority. And as suggested by you guys all the clients will be effected by this value regardless of the fact which clients are in which policy.

Case-3 :

1> Right click any policy ---> change ---> there is option "Limit jobs per policy" Suppose I changed it to 2.

2> Master Server host properties ---> Client attributes ---> I added on client there and changed its Maximum data streams value to 1.

So only the client I added in client attributes will be affected by the value of Maximum data streams and other clients will be affected by the value of "Limit jobs per policy" or "Maximum jobs per client", which one is lower.

Am I right? Please validate.

Thanks.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I'll try to find time to validate tomorrow - unless someone beats me to it.

In the meantime... I've re-read my post, and I've realised that my choice of words (yet again) have let me down.  ;)   I shouldn't have used the term precedence, instead I should have used the term 'scope'.  I'll amend my post above.

sdo

Q) Now if maximum jobs per client is set to 1, does that mean it is applicable for all clients?

A) If you are refering to the global setting, then yes.

There is not really an order of precedence, however there is implied 'scope' - by lack of precedence I mean that evaluation does not stop upon a condition or setting of any one maximum concurrent job/stream 'limit control' - instead all three 'limits' are always taken in to consideration.

Of the three places where concurrent backup job/stream count can be controlled:

- global setting - i.e. Master Server / Global Attributes / Maximum jobs per client : scope, applies to all backup jobs/streams for all backup policies for all backup clients.

- policy setting - i.e. Policy attributes / Limit jobs per policy : scope, applies to all backup jobs/streams for this one backup policy only, for all backup client jobs/streams generated by this policy only.

- client setting - i.e. Master Server / Client Attributes : scope, applies to all backup jobs/streams across all backup policies for this one backup client name only.

...then, whichever is present (set), the lowest of these will result in the maximum concurrent backup jobs/streams for any one backup client name.

N.B: none of the settings apply to any restore jobs at any time.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Case-1:

As the "Limit jobs per policy" has lower value so it will be given more priority. Now tell me if all the clients are effected by this value or only the clients which are selected in the policy will be effected by this value?

It's limit jobs per policy so what do you think will happen? It is set to 1 so only 1 job will be active for that policy at any one time.

Case-2:

As the "Maximum jobs per client" has lower value so it will be given more priority. And as suggested by you guys all the clients will be effected by this value regardless of the fact which clients are in which policy.

Correct. Only one job will run per client, you could get up to 2 jobs running per policy (different clients). Be aware that if you have the same client in more than one policy that run at the same time then only one can run due to the "Maximum jobs per client"

Case-3:

So only the client I added in client attributes will be affected by the value of Maximum data streams and other clients will be affected by the value of "Limit jobs per policy" or "Maximum jobs per client", which one is lower.

Correct.

Just to throw something out there, there is another layer of complexity you may want to at least be aware of - you can also limit the overall number of jobs that can run at any one time by how you configure your STUs (max jobs/drive , max concurrent jobs)

smith_jones
Level 6

Thanks Andy.

Thanks All.

smith_jones
Level 6

Also user "sdo" -

You were going to do some validation at your end. If you find something for me please share.

Thanks.

sdo

Didn't Andy W validate your scenarios?