Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINUX NFS MOUNT BACKUP

mumair109917
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

I need a solution regarding NFS Backup as per  below mentioned environment details.

our customer is have some of there files on NFS mount point on LINUX server, on the same server they want to install NetBackup Master server and attached tape drive on the same server as well. 

I just want to if I can quote them NetBackup Standard server only will it work or do I need to add any other agents and options? 

thanks & regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

- it is very strange to use an Enterprise Software to backup 100 Gb . (What you need is knowledge about tar,gzip,bash scripting and 2 (large) USB Sticks. :)

- I cant believe that these 100GB NFS are the only Data you customer have to backup. Are other Backup solutions still in place ?

- Regardless: you can use a Standard Server as Master/Media and Client. Its a "simple" Filesystembackup. No other options are needed.

- Please dont be angry. You are tagged as Partner - Accredited - Certified: Strange you shpuld know or be able to evaluate the answer for your own

ciao

tunix2k

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Will_Restore
Level 6

Old thread, should still hold true:  https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/what-exact-difference-between-netbackup-enterprise-server-75-and-netbackup-server

In real life, netbackup server is a netbackup domain consist of a master server, clients and agents

No media servers, no san media servers, no VM support and no API robots.

mumair109917
Level 6

will I am not geting you point dear, I need simple answer as master server is by default media server and client as well so if I quote only netbackup server will this work in my scenario or I need to add some other agents?

cbsi_nbu_team
Level 3

Can you have 1 server acting as master, media and client? Sure you can. But is it the right architecture? it depends. How many other clients are you going to backup, how much data, how often etc etc.

mumair109917
Level 6

dera customer have only 100GB of data on NFS Mount point on linux and they only want to backup that NFS files not more than that. I tried to convince them but they want Netbackup on the same server.

cbsi_nbu_team
Level 3

Is this for backup or archive, what is the frequency and retention requirement? What is your backup storage going to be?

If all you need is to backup 100GB of NFS share regularly, you may not even need to get a netbackup software. It's like trying to kill a mouse with a tank. 

mumair109917
Level 6

:) you are right but customer only want netbackup even I proposed them them backup exec, they have 100GB Data on linux NFS mount and want to backup daily full backup to the standalone tape LTO-5.

cbsi_nbu_team
Level 3

Standalone tape? No autoloader? meaning that someone will manually mount tapes on daily/weekly basis? So they want to spend $$ of the top software but be on the cheap on the HW? I would suggest to get a low-end autoloader like dell TL1000 and get a cheaper software :)

But if you insist, I guess it can still work (albeit painfully w/ standalone tape drive)

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH56903

mumair109917
Level 6

unfortunately everyone is trying to route the solution to the other side, I just asked a very simple question will NetBackup Standard Server gona work or not? or I need to add any other agent or options. only standalone drive, one linux server with NFS 100GB Flatfiles, netbackup is installed on the same linux machine.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

- it is very strange to use an Enterprise Software to backup 100 Gb . (What you need is knowledge about tar,gzip,bash scripting and 2 (large) USB Sticks. :)

- I cant believe that these 100GB NFS are the only Data you customer have to backup. Are other Backup solutions still in place ?

- Regardless: you can use a Standard Server as Master/Media and Client. Its a "simple" Filesystembackup. No other options are needed.

- Please dont be angry. You are tagged as Partner - Accredited - Certified: Strange you shpuld know or be able to evaluate the answer for your own

ciao

tunix2k

manatee
Level 6

strange indeed. one can just use tar to do the backup.

Will_Restore
Level 6

NetBackup Server is sufficient for this small environment. 

mumair109917
Level 6

thanks guys for all your support, actually the reason is customer want to use netbackup now for only the test environment and on the next phase they will go for SAP Backups via NetBackup but right now SAP implementation is on going with SAP Consultants and right now if we dont propose them Netbackup software customer will not be able to precure NetBackup software for SAP environment this time we are offering them NetBackup for free no charge as favor, so next year we can place the NBU Appliance.

in start if I mentioned all this scenario people get confused and wasnt be able to get the answer of my concern, I have was bit confused because of NFS mount backup only. :)