cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOCKED_FILE_ACTION in Windows clients

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hi All,

I would like skip the locked files from backup of Windows clients, On UNIX we have this option that can be added in bp.conf file of a client, but how can i use same for windows client.

backup of one of my windows client (Netbackup version is 6.5.6.) is failing. After preliminary investigations i found the job is writing the data for some time and after reaching particular file it wont write any data and waits at particular file and later fails

Thanks,

Venkatesh

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Only way on Windows Clients is to use Exclude List in client's properties.

You can add file names that you see in Job Details, or wildcards (e.g. *.mdf) or entire folders.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't - this option is not valid for Windows clients. On Windows you must use VSS to backup open files.

That said - I don't think it a locked files that causes the backup to hang. It may be a directory with many millions of files. Use the procedure described in the T/N to verify:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31513

Update:

Too late - Marianne work in the evening also :D

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Thanks  Marianne and Nicolai for the replies

With the help of exclude list I’m able to exclude particular files from particular directory. but it is not helping me always........

I used the exclude list as below

D:\*\*\*\*\*.lock

E:\*\*\*\*\*.lock

but my backups still failed sometimes,

I’m also looking for equivalent action of LOCKED_FILE_ACTION, may be some entries in windows registry or something.....

We are using VSS and i was monitoring this job that fails frequently and it is waiting reaches one particular file and then waits for long time trying to access this file and later it fails. After adding that file to exclude list backups are successful.

Thank you in advance,

Venkatesh

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

How about just "*.lock"?

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hi Andy,

No luck, Backup still failed.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Some suggestions:

Please upgrade to NBU 7.x ASAP. NBU 6.x will reach EOSL in less than 2 weeks.

Verify that WOFB is configured to use VSS and ensure that all Microsoft VSS hotfixes are up to date.

Keep *.lock in Exclude List.

Ensure bpfis and bpbkar log folders exist to troubleshoot WOFB and exclude list (if being ignored).

If you need us to look at log files, blease copy files to reflect process name (e.g. bpbkar.txt) and post as File attachments.