Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPAR - Migration concerns with IP address

Jay_Son
Level 5

Current Environment :

NBU 6.5.3
OS = Solaris 10

We are in progress in migrating our current environment to IBM AIX 6 (utilizing LPAR). Our Sr. Network Admin has one concern. Please read the following:

"Each p570 has 4 network connections, each are a 1gb.  Each p570 is attached to 2 network segments 11.21.141.0 and 11.21.142.0.  For redundancy each p570 has 2 connections to each of these network segments.

The current NBU is on the 11.21.143.0 network segment, which the p570s are not connected to.

The question is,
Can the IP address can be modified during a NetBackup migration?"

Thanks
Jay Son
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU itself doesn't care about IP addresses. It uses name service (DNS or whatever provider you specify), so just set it up properly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

For all this kind of migratrions I think is better to contact symantec, but thinking on that Netbackup fully depends of DNS I dont see much problem with the IP change if you keep the name under DNS and is the same name over the new box, if you want to change the master server name, than is a very different and more complicated story.

and one question, why migrate to AIX if Solaris is much better platfor for Netbackup? just curiosity.

best regards.

Jay_Son
Level 5
Thanks Omar.

Its a decision that was finalized sometime last year. We're now moving forward to enhance what IBM has to offer. Personally, I have'nt heard of any issues. We already have migrated one NBU environment to AIX LPAR succesfully.

Jay_Son
Level 5
FYI - we want to keep the master server name (which is already defined in DNS).

Mouse
NBU itself doesn't care about IP addresses. It uses name service (DNS or whatever provider you specify), so just set it up properly.

Jay_Son
Level 5
Since we are running on UNIX/AIX on this NBU (to be migrated), most of our NT clients are on another NBU envirnoment that we already migrated over. That was when the NBU IP address came into play. Each of those boxes (over 300 clients) need the ip address defined in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Mouse
I would suggest to rely on DNS services and try to avoid hosts files.

We are now consulting one of our clients who has more than 500 hosts in the NBU and they need to change *hosts* files.