Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTID crashes after I close the cmd(powershell) in which I enabled it

AlChie
Level 4

Greetings!

I recieved such weird error.

I have a media server on one of Win2008 machines.

I have tried to restart the ltid manually after I made device changes in NBU Admin Console.

I was entering this command ( In PowerShell):

cd D:\Veritas\volmgr\bin\ltid.exe

When I click Enter I can see in processes that ltid.exe appears and it really works.

Also the PowerShell in which I entered the command getting stuck and I cannot write anything in it (looks like it still continue to process something) (CTRL+C combination doesn't work)

But if I close this PowerShell window the ltid stops imediately.

Many Thanks,

----
Best Regards, AlChie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Use services.msc to start it... so it will run either on 'local system' or any other user you decided to run it on... power shell was started as your user id and once you do close it it kills any processes called by it - my take...

Also you can use the NBU Activity Monitor / Deamons to start it up...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Use services.msc to start it... so it will run either on 'local system' or any other user you decided to run it on... power shell was started as your user id and once you do close it it kills any processes called by it - my take...

Also you can use the NBU Activity Monitor / Deamons to start it up...

quebek,

Can I start NBU Device Manager Service via services.msc If there is tape backup going right now with ltid (enabled by powershell)?

Will it be considered as restart of service and break the ongoing backup?

Or will it be wise to wait for "No backup" window and restart?

And I've also looked at Daemon tab in Admin Console and it states that ltid doesn't work:( 

----
Best Regards, AlChie

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i would say use the command bpup (<Install_Path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpup -f -v) even some of the services are running, it will start the other services which required to run.

it does not keep any parent ID relationship, so they will contuine to run even you close the cmd and logoff from the server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Do not try to start/restart Device Management service with tape backups running.
It will kill the running backup.

Wait for quiet time.

Thank you very much. I ran LTID through services.msc in a "no backup window" and it works properly.

Didn't try it with tape backups going so got nothing to say about it.

----
Best Regards, AlChie