cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO Encryption - ENCRYPTION UNAVAILABLE FOR ENCR POOL

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I have an NBU 701 environment with AIX Master server, AIX media servers and Windows media servers.  All Master and Media's are SAN attached to an IBM tape library, containing 4 x IBM.ULT3580-TD5 (LTO5) direct fibre attached drives.  SSO is running in the environment, and all servers can write to the library drives OK.

I have just configured KMS using the nbkms command to create the DB, then the nbkmsutil command to create a keygroup (ENCR_TapePool) and a key.(testkey).  Pass-phrases used throughout.

I had already created a volume pool named ENCR_TapePool.

When I run a job directed to use the volume pool ENCR_TapePool it mounts a tape from that pool but then reports the following:

Freezing Tape

Encryption Unavailable For An ENCR Pool

It will continue until all the tapes in the pool have been frozen then fail with a 96 error.

I am feeling that this could be a driver issue with the IBM tape drives - not being set to allow Application Managed Encryption.  Do I need to load specific IBM drivers for the environments (Windows and AIX), or is there another angle I should look at ?

Thanks,

AJ. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If I get this correct you are using just KMS which does not require a license - this allows hardware encryption.  (if doing media server encryption this does not apply)

The thing is you must have a tape drive that can do hardware encryption like LTO4

and If it is in a library you most likely have to go to the library and tell it you want to use hardware encryption.

In the library I use it was buried in a place I did not think to look and was not in the manual for the library - I had to call support for the library and ask how to turn on hardware encryption. 

And it was just a matter of saying - yes the tape drives can do hardware encryption - once that is done it should work for you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If I get this correct you are using just KMS which does not require a license - this allows hardware encryption.  (if doing media server encryption this does not apply)

The thing is you must have a tape drive that can do hardware encryption like LTO4

and If it is in a library you most likely have to go to the library and tell it you want to use hardware encryption.

In the library I use it was buried in a place I did not think to look and was not in the manual for the library - I had to call support for the library and ask how to turn on hardware encryption. 

And it was just a matter of saying - yes the tape drives can do hardware encryption - once that is done it should work for you.

thesanman
Level 6

I had a similar problem; your IBM library must have Application-Managed encyption enabled.  On a TS3500 you need to be running ALMS and enabled it on a per library basis.

You can see this on the library Web GUI via Library > ALMS.  If you don't have ALMS enabled it will not do it!  That said, the cost of the ALMS enabler license is quite small and the config is quick and easy.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

Thanks to the input above by Judy I sorted this one.

I went into the library admin console, selected manage logical library, and within there you can set the encryption method - set to AME (Application Managed Encryption).

No other changes to drivers etc. were required - all now works.