cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO MEDIA FREEZING FREQUENTLY WHILE WRITING BACKUP

Jatin_bisht
Level 3

Capture.PNG

LTO Medias getiing freeze, we have done media cleaning and We have also reset the tape library, but still facing this issue.

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Netbackup always logs the reason for freezing tapes. There are many possible reasons.

Places to look:
Tapes log report
bptm log on the media server (s)

See : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH21473

Sujay24
Level 4
Employee

Provide eventvwr logs->Application log if  Windows machine or /var/log/messages if unix machine.

Yes, i put the log to verbosity 5 and unfreezed the all affected media, and rerun the backup. And now i will see the logs after the job fails, so will reply for further solution.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Also you can check with this command:

bperror -media -hoursago 9999 |findstr FREEZ

for wintel and for unix based below

bperror -media -horusago 9999 |grep FREEZ

common issues are: drive number differs on NBU end and library; write protected media; misplaced media, robot inventory not up to date....

Marianne

@Jatin_bisht 

Have you checked if bptm log folder exists on media server(s)?
Please bear in mind that level 5 logging creates massive log files that are difficult to read.
I only enable level 5 logging when a Support is logged with Veritas. 
Level 3 logs are sufficient in most circumstances.

You don't need to wait for another failure or freeze to run tape log report (or bperror command).

Event Viewer logs (System and Application) will only help if VERBOSE entry was added to vm.conf on media server(s) followed by restart of ltid (NBU Device Management service).

Genericus
   VIP   

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND - TAPE FREEZING IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT THE TAPES!

Especially when you have a lot of tapes freezing.

I see this when I have a tape stuck in a drive, NB tries to load a tape and the tape load fails, so NB blames the tape, and freezes it. Sometimes you have to manually check the drive, sometimes NB will request a tape unload, and never get the message that the tape is stuck!

Also, there have been issues with LTO firmware, so if a tape is labelled with one drive, it will not work with another.

I would review your logs, and do some testing - label some scratch tapes and verify each one loads and unloads cleanly.

My best operator contacted me yesterday, he had noticed that the leader pins on tapes coming back from Iron Mountain were not seated properly.(I have my operators manually check EVERY cart when they load to ensure the write tab is clear, and the leader pin is set - you have to actually open the little sliding access door on every tape!)

This would have caused tape load issues and these would all have frozen!

Time to get your junior detective hat out and use your deductive reasoning!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I like level 5 logging ....  ;0)

Prasanna_Natta
Level 3

have you performed any checks on tape drives as tapes are always freezing it is something like drives might having the issue ?

try running diagnostics from library console and see how it comes out

have you setup the tapes with correct density levels ?

Marianne
We can only hope that @Jatin_bisht will let us know if there has been any progress...

Marianne
We can only hope that @Jatin_bisht will let us know if there has been any progress...