cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO2 and LTO3 tape barcodes mixed

Jeff_Sundin
Level 3
Partner
I am replacing serveral backup masters that have standalone LTO2 drives with new servers and LTO2 libraries.  The existing catalog will have old information on the old tapes, with old barcode labels (123456L2, for instance).  The new tapes will have 123456L3. 

Can I reuse the same numbering scheme with new L3 tapes?  I know I can change the barcode rules to give me the 6 digit number, but the media ID lists the 8 digit code.

How do others keep barcodes seperate in multisite locations when you migrate from LTO2 to LTO3?

Thanks.

Jeff

1 REPLY 1

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6

Jeff Sundin wrote:

Can I reuse the same numbering scheme with new L3 tapes?  I know I can change the barcode rules to give me the 6 digit number, but the media ID lists the 8 digit code.

How do others keep barcodes seperate in multisite locations when you migrate from LTO2 to LTO3?

Hi Jeff,

When you filter the first 6 digits (i.e. without the L2 or L3), the media ID would be identical. But if your drive is configure with HCART3, I don't think the tape would be pick up by NB if the media type is set as HCART2. Therefore you need to delete the media from NB and re-introduce it again with media type HCART3 (either manually or with barcode rule).

Not sure whether I correctly understand you second question but if you're seeing the media with 8 digits, then it shouldn't be a problem with both media co-existing.