cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of connectivity between media server and master server.

b82klo
Level 3
Hi, I have just added another media server but it don’t seem to do what it is supposed to. We run Windows 2003 on the master server and on one media server. The new media server is Windows 2008 R2. They all have Netbackup 7 installed. When I try to back up something to disk the job is just Queued and the state details just go “Lack of connectivity detected between media server and master server. (Name of storage unit or storage group, name of media server)". Then nothing more happens. I am able to open the media server properties. I am also able to ping both ways and with reverse lookup. It makes no difference if I use SAN connected disk or local disk on the media server. Please advice.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Problem:
"The master or the media server tries to access the client, but the client does not recognize the server as a valid server."

Troubleshoot:
"1  If the server is a valid server, verify that it is in the server list on the client. If necessary add it as follows:
   *  On Windows clients: add the server on the Server to use for backups and restores drop-down in the Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type dialog box. To display this dialog box, start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the client. Then click Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type on the File menu.
   *  On UNIX, and Macintosh clients: add a SERVER entry in the bp.conf file.
   *  On NetWare target and OS/2 clients: add a SERVER entry in the bp.ini file.
   If you change the server list on a UNIX master server, do the following for the changes to take effect: stop and then restart the NetBackup Request daemon (bprd) and NetBackup database manager daemon (bpdbm). On Windows, stop and restart the NetBackup Request Manager and NetBackup Database Manager services.
..."

or

In-Depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 59 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277539.htm

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified

Can you please check if you have licenses installed on the new media server.

Run the following commands on the new media server:

nbemmcmd -getemmserver
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

Rg.

Jacob
Level 4
If licenses and the nbemmcmd return the correct result you should review your firewall:

You probably have port 13724 open both inbound and outbound in your w2k8 R2 firewall (as you can view media server properties). But you also have bidirectional openings for port 1556? It is used for communication between master and media server.

b82klo
Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just double checked the licenses. They all look correct to me.

When I try to run the nbemmcmd commands I only get the following error:

“NBEMMCMD, Version:7.0
Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.”

I guess this indicates that I have an EMM problem. How could I resolve this?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The command nbemmcmd on new media server produces the error: "Failed to initialize EMM connection"
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295354.htm

b82klo
Level 3
Jacob,

I have turned the firewall on my 2008 R2 server off. Both ports you are referring to answers from both the master and the media server when I try to telnet them.

b82klo
Level 3
Andy,

The new media server was listed on the master server (EMM server). Everything therefor looks good, but it still gives med the same error.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

and for typos & conventions?

b82klo
Level 3
Yepp, I tried both causes. Maybe I should try to remove my new media server and add it again?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to be sure that comms are 100% fine using host names, add ...\drivers\etc\hosts entries on master server and media server for itself and for remote hosts. Add aliases for FQDN as well:

For example:
On master:
10.10.10.1 master master.company loghost
10.10.10.2 media media.company

Media Server:

10.10.10.2 media media.company loghost
10.10.10.1 master master.company

***** EDIT *****
You can also use bptestnetconn to troubleshoot comms issues.

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346048.htm

b82klo
Level 3
In the Application Log on the media server I get:

EMM interface initialization failed, status = 295

Your article refers to status 334 and older versions of dbodbc*.dll. The things addressed in the article are OK if I translate everything to newer versions.

Jacob
Level 4

This technote talk about a linux issue, which look like yours (eventhough you are a windows user). Might be an idea to verify your host files:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317120.htm

b82klo
Level 3
Marianne,

Have just tested. Playing around with the hostfiles does not make a difference. Still the same problem…..:-(

b82klo
Level 3

Adding 127.0.0.1 localhost on the new media server did not help either

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi,

First, run the nbemmcmd -listhost & nbemmcmd -listhost -verbose on master and copy the output.

Second, check if PBX is running fine on media server by telnetting to the media server from master and localhost itself on port #1556

Third, Can you copy the admin logs (or upload them?)

1. Enable the admin logs (if already enabled, rename the log file for current date)
2. Run the nbemmcmd -listhost command and get the new copy of the log file.

This is just to get the desired log readings.

b82klo
Level 3
I just uninstalled NetBackup on my new media server before I read your post. Removed the media server using nbemmcmd -deletehost first. Will just se of this helps at all.

Will be backup up again in a few moments but PBX was running, listhost gave me an output with the new media server.

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
out of interest sake - did you restart your master and media server Netbackup services?

b82klo
Level 3
Yepp, several times.....

b82klo
Level 3
..... but I get Status 59 when I try to back up using the new media server. 59 = access to the client was not allowed.

Any ideas for the 59 status?