cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laest supported NetBackup version

atoshbekov
Level 2

Hi, currently working on NetBackup upgrade project and we have few old operating systems. I need to know where I can find information about the latest NetBackup client version supported for particular OS. Where I can find this info?

3 REPLIES 3

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Atoshbekov,

You'll need to go through the compatibility list documents - I'm guessing for you the Operating System and Database & Application list will be most relevant, although depending wether you are using VMware those may also be relevant.

The link below will take you to the page for version 8.1.1, and on the left side of the page you'll see a drop-down that will allow you to change the NetBackup version in case you want to look at an older release:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/DocumentBrowsing.html?product=NetBackup&category=Compa...

For any older unsupported OS's or apps, you have the option of using a straight VMware backup with no client (if your environment is configured for VMware backups, or copy the data to a system with a supported client and backing up from there.

Hope this helps,

Steve 

Thanks, the link you provided is very useful. What does "Minimum NetBackup Level" column mean in these documents? For example, I opened NBU 7.6 scl document where it says for FreeBSD 8.0 OS "Minimum NetBackup Level" is 7.0. Does it mean 7.0 is minimum version and I can go upper NBU versions (like 7.6 an etc.) as well or it means this is the latest NBU version it can be backed up with? 

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Atoshbekov,

That is the minimum version you can use (ie: that's where it started being supported).  From there you can go upwards in version, until the compatibility list says it is no longer supported.  One other thing to watch for is the footnotes - see footnote 1 for FreeBSD in that table?  At the bottom of the table it says that that OS on CPU architecture is no longer supported from 7.7 onwards....but FreeBSD 9.3 on x86-64 starts being supported from version 7.6.0.3.

In case you are not aware, all versions 7.6 and below are no longer supported.  In some cases you might need to run an old unsupported client if you still need to back it up (done at your own risk of course), but those are the cases where you should either look at virtualizing and using VMware backups with no agents, upgrading the OS/hardware to a point where you can use a supported client version, or copying data to a system that has a supported client on it.

Hope this helps,

Steve