cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Engineering binary for PureDisk

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi all,

I have been reading the below TECHNOTE and wanted to know whether the fixes are already contained within NetBackup 7.1.0.2

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162680

In the Hotfix Bundle NB_PDE_6.6.1.2_EEB20-rollup2.tar there is an ET (ET2341505) that i would look to apply to my environment in the not too distant future if it is not already in 7.1.0.2 adn would like clarification on whether it is rolled up?

Many thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I took a quick look and couldn't find any NetBackup 7.x Etracks around OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH, so I *believe* in NetBackup 7.1.0.2, the parameter will function as intended.  The specific issue you're referencing appears limited to the PureDisk (and PureDisk 50x0 Appliance) side of things.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The URL that you found is a patch for PureDisk 6.6.1.2. (Have a look at the Pack Dependencies and installation instructions.)

It is not a NetBackup patch.

MikeM11
Level 4

I understand that this is not a NetBackup patch, however my understanding is that there is a tight integration of PureDisk into NetBackup 7.1.

What I am looking to clarify specifically is the ET I mentioned:

ET2341505 - PDDO optimized duplications between two PureDisk storage pools have no compression or bandwidth set
The compression and bandwidth parameters for all PDDO optimized duplication between PureDisk storage
pools is empty, causing uncompressed data on the target storage pool and the bandwidth not being honoured.

Given that PureDisk forms part of the NetBackup 7.1 offering, and is the underlying system responsible for my MDSP, is the above issue resolved in 7.1.0.2 (my current version)

Thanks, Mike

Marianne
Level 6

PDDO is not the same MSDP. Media server Dedupe is NBU installation with the PureDisk engine as part of it's binaries.

PDDO referred to in the TN is related to the separate PureDisk 'appliance type' server with it's own PDOS OS and PureDisk installation that can function as standalone solution or as Storage Server for NBU.

If you have a separate PureDisk server(s) on version 6.6.1.2, you can apply this patch.

Please see this topic in the NBU 7.0 FAQ

Q. How is deduplication in Netbackup 7 different than in PureDisk 6.6?

MikeM11
Level 4

That explains the differences well for me, thank you.

In that case I suppose the question should be, is the PureDisk engine within NetBackup affected by the same issue or is this PureDisk Appliance specific?

Thanks, Mike

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure...

Best to have a look at issues and fixes described in NBU MSDP patches/EEBs.

See this doc: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH167950

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I took a quick look and couldn't find any NetBackup 7.x Etracks around OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH, so I *believe* in NetBackup 7.1.0.2, the parameter will function as intended.  The specific issue you're referencing appears limited to the PureDisk (and PureDisk 50x0 Appliance) side of things.

MikeM11
Level 4

Marianne/Chris

Thank you for your responses.  I am happy this does not affect us.

Mike