cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest version of NBU master that is supported to run on a W2K8 server hosted on vsphere 4.1

Elbon
Level 2

Hi Guys,

Having trouble locating any concrete information and thought someone on here may be able to point me in the right direction as to what i am trying t5o achieve.

Migrate current physical Master server into a newly created Win server 2008 that is hosted in a vSphere 4.1 environment.

No tape library will be attached to the master server so it will be running ONLY as a master - we then have physicals out in the environment with tape libraries attached.

Current version of NBU on the master server is 7.1 - i understand that i will need to install version 7.1 on the new VM that will take over as the new master server.

Question:  Is netBackup 7.1 supported running as a master server ONLY on a Windows 2008 server that is hosted in a vsphere 4.1 environment?  Is there a tech note stating yes or no?

Question: What is the latest version of NBU master that is supported to run on a Windows 2008 Server hosted on vsphere 4.1?  Is there a tech note stating yes or no?

Thanks guys - any productive input would be much appreciated :)

Cheers.

1 REPLY 1

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

here are my points:

- you should ask VMware first if Windows 2008 is supported on VMware 4.1. NetBackup 7.1 is supported on Windows 2008, so if yes it should be ok

- generally, all these versions are roughly from the same time (2008-2011) , so I guess their combination should be ok

- I think NetBackup 7.5 will be the last version supported on this VM/OS, because higher versions require 64-bit OS (AFAIK it is not supported with vSphere 4.1 but ask VMware for sure)

- last question is what is the reason for using such old versions. vSphere 4.1 is äfter EOL and also NetBackup versions older than 7.7 are after EOL. So even if the combination was tested and certified in the past, you wont be able to open support calls for it today

Regards

Michal