cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library migration - HCART drives question.

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

I am migrating from an LTO4 library to an LTO6 one.

I currently have the both of them configured in the netbackup server, though I am only using the LTO4 until I finish configuring the LTO6 and then I will decom it.

Just loaded some tapes into the LTO6 library, and when I do an inventory, tapes come out as HCART.

The drives are configured as HCART3, and I am not sure why they are popping up as HCART. did a quick search and could not find where to modify that.

LTO4 drives and tapes are HCART.

I wanted to set the new ones as HCART3, so if I need a restore from an old tape, I can change one drive to HCART and use it for the restore.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

I usually get the HP barcode lables.

for the frist batch I have them printed. Talked to support and they explained that you have to set barcode rules in order to have different density tapes.

I created a rule for the new tapes, and will have them printed insted of buying the hp ones for the new tapes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check the barcode rule setting,

Technotes for reference:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000044816

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081160

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

Nicolai, let´s see if I got it right.

I have to go to Barcode Rules, then create a new one, that will use:

Barcode Tag: Default

Media Type: 1/2 cartridge tape 3

volume Pool: Scratch

Now my only question is that if I still use lto4 tapes that are set as HCART, would that not be a conflict?

I forgot to mention that I have a remote location set as media server with another library that is still using LTO4 tapes, so I am not sure if it will end up being a mess.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I am surprised that media in library with drives configured as HCART3 are inventoried as HCART tapes. That should not happen.

Doublecheck/repeat Configure Devices wizard for this new library. After this, drive type and storage unit density should be consitent, for example both = HCART2. Then, after Robot Inventory, tapes type should be consistent with them too, thus = HCART2.

Regards

Michal

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

Michal, I tried deleting the robot and drives, added them again, still hcart.

First timeI am trying to do this mixed environment thing. 

Drive type is set to HCART3, storage unit is also configured for HCART3.

double checked just in case, and yes, it is set to TLD(4)  (which is the robot number, as I have vtl in data domain as well) hcart3.

roboty type: tld - tape library dlt

density: hcart3 - 1/2 inch catridge 3

robot number 4

any other idea what might be causing this?

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

should I set up a barcode rule that goes for media type hcart3?

what I am concerned about is that if I make this rule for hcart3 media type, when I add hcart media, will it take over? 

not sure if they can coexist in the same environment.

Marianne
Hopefully there is something different to the barcodes for LTO6 media? Best to have unique barcode range for the different media types. You can then easily setup barcode rules for each media type. Please show us example of LTO6 and LTO4 media barcodes.

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

I usually get the HP barcode lables.

for the frist batch I have them printed. Talked to support and they explained that you have to set barcode rules in order to have different density tapes.

I created a rule for the new tapes, and will have them printed insted of buying the hp ones for the new tapes.

Marianne

Mmmm... so, it seems you decided to follow my advice? wink

Ramiro-Magan
Level 5
Certified

I always do.

I have a little picture of you next to my server, whenever I am in trouble I pray to it :p