cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library paritioning

mn79
Level 3

Hi,

I have an SL3000 that is currently connected to one of the Master servers. Going forward I'll have a second Master to cater for backups in another network, security issues. I would have to configure tape backups for the second master as well. So I am thinking of partitioning my production library.

How will this impact my current production, i.e.would I face issues with NetBackup as the one robot changes and will be seen as two logical robots. So will this be interpreted as a new library that Netbackup knows nothing about?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If all tape drives and library slots and media were assigned to the single, un-partitioned library, you will need to divide the CAP, drives and slots between the partitions. 

If partition 1 will be assigned to current master and partition 2 to new server, you will need to remove all tapes from partition 2 slots and insert new tapes for new server. 

Just to be safe, I would remove all tapes from the library, and delete current devices from NBU. Restart NBU device management service (ltid). 

After partitioning and checking zoning, confirm that only devices for relevant partition is seen at OS-level by each server. 
Use 'scan' command to report on devices - check robot serial number, number of slots in robot, and drive serial numbers. 

If all good, insert tapes in correct partition. 

Re-add devices using the Device Config Wizard. 
Inventory robot. 
Check Storage Unit config - adjust max number of drives. 

Again - this is how I would do it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In theory it shouldn't - providing the new partition doesn't change the config of the existing one.

It's been years since I have done this myself, but if I recall with the IBM 3500 series, if you had an unpartionioned library (in use) and then turned on ALMS and partioined it, it affected the original setup.  If you started with it partitioned, but with only one partition, and then added another, it didn't - but I could be wrong it was many years ago.

Best thing to do is check with the hardware vendor.

Hi,

The library is not partitioned at the moment. The partitioning will change the configuration. The library hardware supports partitioning, there are no issues here.

My question was more regarding the steps, and precautions to take at the Netbackup layer.

Regards

Marianne

If all tape drives and library slots and media were assigned to the single, un-partitioned library, you will need to divide the CAP, drives and slots between the partitions. 

If partition 1 will be assigned to current master and partition 2 to new server, you will need to remove all tapes from partition 2 slots and insert new tapes for new server. 

Just to be safe, I would remove all tapes from the library, and delete current devices from NBU. Restart NBU device management service (ltid). 

After partitioning and checking zoning, confirm that only devices for relevant partition is seen at OS-level by each server. 
Use 'scan' command to report on devices - check robot serial number, number of slots in robot, and drive serial numbers. 

If all good, insert tapes in correct partition. 

Re-add devices using the Device Config Wizard. 
Inventory robot. 
Check Storage Unit config - adjust max number of drives. 

Again - this is how I would do it. 

Thank you Marianne, that is exactly what I had in mind too.

I was planning on removing only tapes from slots that would be assigned to the new partition, and keep the rest of the tapes in their slots. I have 1000+ tapes in the library and only a 26 slot CAP :(

A couple of questions please -

• What would be the risk with keeping the tapes in the slots, if I make sure I can assign the correct slots to the partition?
  • Would I have two WWPNs for each logical robot, instead of the one I see from the unpartitioned library. Would I have to enable NPIV on the SAN switches?

Regards.

Hi Marianne, Instead of removing all the tapes from the library. Wouldn't moving the tapes to standalone help as it will remove association of the volumes to the robot?  Post the activity, I will carry out reinventory which should add the volume groups back?

Regards.

Marianne

Leaving tapes in slots that will stay with current master should not be a problem. 

Moving them to standalone is a good idea since slot numbering will probably change. 

About your other queries - 
I can only assume that  after partitioning there will be different WWPNs for each logical robot.
Maybe the library product documentation will provide better answers? 

Thank you, for the response. I will try these steps and provide an update.