Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License question about VMware and database packs

furry_oz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

the company I am working for is moving to NetBackup 7.1, and will utilize VADP (vStorage API) to backup virtual clients. Some of the virtual machines have applications on them, including a few running MS SQL. I understand that 1 x client application and database pack license per ESX Host will cover all virtual machine application instances on that ESX Host, and that if VMware DRS or vMotion is used in a cluster, all ESX Hosts in the cluster need the same tiered client application and database pack license. Do I have a choice to still continue licensing the MS SQL applications in the virtual machines individually (as thought they are physical), or am I forced to license each ESX Host (or all ESX Hosts in the cluster)?

The example I need advise on is this: If the ESX Cluster consisted of 50 grunty ESX Hosts, with virtual machines allowed to move between hosts with DRS etc, but only 5 of these virtual machines from the larger pool of virtual machines had SQL installed on them, and the MS-SQL-Server backup method needs to be used on these.....surely it would be ludicrous to have to license all 50 grunty ESX Hosts with the appropriate client application and database license pack license? Would there not be the option to only license the 5 virtual machines as thought they were physical?

thanks

f

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

First off you need an Enterprise Client for each ESX Server - that is more expensive than a traditional client license

If you have 5 SQL Clients on your ESX Servers and are using vMotion to move them around then i believe that, as they could only live on at most 5 ESX servers at any one time then 5 Database Application packs would be sufficient.

If you also have say 3 Exchange Servers hosted on ESX and they could also move around then likewise you would actually need another 3 database application packs for those.

These allow you to install a NetBackup client and perform application backups from those servers.

I will confirm this (unless someone else does in the meantime) tomorrow for you.

furry_oz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thanks for the reply. I understand the requirement for the Enterprise Client license for each ESX host (should have mentioned it for completeness). Looking forward to your confirmation with regards to only needing to license the (number of app instances) x ESX Hosts, and not all the ESX Hosts that make up the cluster. Our discussions with Symantec so far seem to suggest they require that all the ESX Hosts need to be licensed.

Could you comment on the option of treating the virtual clients as physical clients in respect to licensing NetBackup for MS-SQL-Server, where the client (virtual machine) is licensed for the client application and database pack license, and not the ESX Host - is this still an option? e.g. does the fact that the clients and application now live ontop of VMware force a certain license type, or is there still a choice? Your last statement seems to suggest that this is not possible anymore, and that the only option is to license the VMware host?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Although for traditional HA cluster on physical machines, license is needed for each node.

Perhaps, if you enforce VM to run on subset of ESX hosts(not all of your ESX hosts), number of licence can be reduced only for those hosts.

Lance_Williams
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello

The option to perform in-host, traditional backups still exists and is feasible under the same licence regulations as using the vStorage API, but the backups will then treat the VM as it would a physical host and the vStorage API should not be used. This way, the agent moves with the VM and you can use a Standard Client rather than an Enterprise Client further demonstrating to any auditors that the licensing is applied at the VM level, not at the host level.

"Virtual Machine Backup & Recovery: NetBackup Client/Agents in the VM

This is the most straightforward method of virtual machine backups. Backup data is transferred from the guest VM to the NetBackup server over the LAN. If Deduplication Option is used, the bandwidth advantages of client-side deduplication will be realized. When running a database application within a VM, it is recommended to use the associated NetBackup agent within the VM.

When using a NetBackup client in 1 or more guest VMs, one Standard or Enterprise Client is required per each host server. No more than 1 client license is required per host.

When using a NetBackup database/application agent in 1 or more guest VMs, one Application & Database Pack is required for each host server. No more than 1 Application & Database Pack license is required per host. ." - NBU 7.1 Licensing, p.26

If using the vStorage method, as far as your question around the ESX hosts goes, when I've had this dilemma in the past, Symantec have advised to just licence for the number of hosts that will be populated at one time i.e. 5 in your case, with 1x Ent Client and 1x Client App&DB Pack tiered to the hardware. Symantec are all too aware that the current licence model could price them out of many engagements if stuck to too rigidly; if you do follow this line, get something in writing from the sales rep that supports you.

However, the licence guide does state:

"In a VMware cluster, any/only VMware hosts (cluster nodes) that contain virtual machines protected by NetBackup require an Enterprise Client license. Also, licensing must account for any migration of VMs between nodes. In other words, if a set of cluster nodes are used to load-balance VMs, all nodes that participate must be licensed." - NBU 7.1 Licence Guide, p.28

With that in mind, Yasuhisa's advice could work a treat to cover your back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a link to the NBU 7.1 License Guide.? I don't see it part of the Docs set.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I believe the NBU Licensing guide is available to Partners only - it is not posted anywhere accessible to non partners as far as i am aware

If you are a partner then ask your account manager - otherwise ask you reseller to assist

hope this helps