cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License question

SARA_8
Level 4

Hi,

planing to deploy IBM power system p595 with 3 lpars witng netbackup sap agent and 2 lpar  with enterprise  server  license

Please clear my doubts on the following; according to the below statements from the licensing guide, do i need one sap agent licesne and one enterprise server license  for the  p595 phyical host regardless of the number of lpars needing the license?

also, I have 4 windows virtual machines ( hyper-v) , each of them need SQL agent license and all of them  resding on one phyical host, how many license do i need ?

"Specifically, AIX LPAR follows the general virtualization licensing; license at the physical server (e.g. license for the ESX server and one license for any application/DB being protected). For zSeries LPARs, apply the applicable tiering (NetBackup Hardware Tier Matrix).

"When using a NetBackup database/application agent in one or more guest VMs, only one Application & Database Pack license or SAP agent license is required per host server, regardless of how many VMs may be running a particular database or application, and regardless of how many application instances are running."

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For AIX, 1 SAP license, 1 Enterprise Client/Standard Client License (depends which features you want to use or what type of backup transport you want to use). Take note of the TIER for both SAP and Enterprise Client License

For HyperV, 1 DB/APP, 1 Enterprise Client/Standard Client License (depends which features you want to use or what type of backup transport you want to use). Hyper-V policy type would require Enterprise Client. Take note of the TIER for both DB/APP and Enterprise Client License

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

LPAR is synomonous with VM, right?   Then one license per physical host. 

RiaanBadenhorst

For AIX, 1 SAP license, 1 Enterprise Client/Standard Client License (depends which features you want to use or what type of backup transport you want to use). Take note of the TIER for both SAP and Enterprise Client License

For HyperV, 1 DB/APP, 1 Enterprise Client/Standard Client License (depends which features you want to use or what type of backup transport you want to use). Hyper-V policy type would require Enterprise Client. Take note of the TIER for both DB/APP and Enterprise Client License

SARA_8
Level 4
Thanks Riaan, what about Enterprise server license for AIX ? how many do I need for? one ? I'm not using hyper-v policy, im using SQL for the VMs

RiaanBadenhorst

what about Enterprise server license for AIX ? how many do I need for? one ? <<You only need an Enterprise SERVER license is you're going to use that AIX box as a Master Server/Media server.

I'm not using hyper-v policy, im using SQL for the VMs <<Then you can just get the Standard Client License.

SARA_8
Level 4

two lpars will be configured as media servers. I need only one if thy resided on one IBM box ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, but are they going to backup other clients? If not, you only need Enterprise Client License (to make them SAN media server, which only back themselves up).

SARA_8
Level 4

yes, the two lpars in the same box will be used to backup different clients. I need only one enterprise server license, right ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes