cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing for P2V restore of plain client to VM...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Does anyone know whether the "P2V" (which I like to think of as "B2V") feature of NetBackup v7.6+ which takes a BMR style plain client backup and semi-auto creates a VM... whether this feature requires adequate NetBackup Enterprise Client licensing for target ESXi vSphere hosts?

Or, slightly re-phrased... assuming that I have adequate traditional client licensing... then... if I backup all VMs using plain client... then can I recover these using the "P2V" feature?  (i.e. and not require a NetBackup Enterprise Client license for each potential target ESXi vSphere host).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

in my view, NBU is licensed for data protection. So you won't need license for restored data unless you start to backup them.

Hope it is what you ask for.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

in my view, NBU is licensed for data protection. So you won't need license for restored data unless you start to backup them.

Hope it is what you ask for.

Regards

Michal

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@Michal_Mikulik1 you are indeed correct.  This TN:

NetBackup 7.6 Feature Briefing - Direct virtual machine creation from backup with BMR

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000019912

...the PDF doc attached to the TN says this at the end on page 7:

"No special licenses are required for the BMR Physical to Virtual recovery feature. However a full NetBackup VMware backup configuration is required for the recovery process. The server that acts as the Virtual Instance Converter must be a Windows server and must have access to a copy of the VMware tools ISO from the ESX server."