cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifecycle policies

MBH71
Level 3
We have a disk based backup system by Exagrid and want to use storage lifecycle policies. The problem I see is that the Exagrid presents the storage as a UNC path such as \\ExagridServer\Share. When I try to setup disk pools to use with this it does not seem to allow us to use a share. It only allows us to use local disk or some other storage such as iSCSI or SAN. Am I doing something wrong or is it not designed to be used this way?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Seems you will only be able to use the disk as Basic Disk.
Only AdvancedDisk can be used with Lifecyle policies.
The folowing requirement is listed in the in NBU device compatibilty matrix under AdvancedDisk Arrays:
Connection method of the disk array (parallel SCSI, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, etc) is not a determining factor for support, only that the storage is seen as local disk by the NetBackup Media Server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
On the NetBackup media server, ma a network drive to the share and point NetBackup to the network drive.

If the media server can see the share and mount a network drive, then you should be able to use the share as  a disk storage unit.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Seems you will only be able to use the disk as Basic Disk.
Only AdvancedDisk can be used with Lifecyle policies.
The folowing requirement is listed in the in NBU device compatibilty matrix under AdvancedDisk Arrays:
Connection method of the disk array (parallel SCSI, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, etc) is not a determining factor for support, only that the storage is seen as local disk by the NetBackup Media Server.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 FYI, you'll need Enterprise Disk licenses to make this work.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From the Manual:
Windows CIFS not supported:
On Windows, networked mapped devices are not visible to Windows services, and AdvancedDisk cannot discover Common Internet File System disk volumes. Therefore, AdvancedDisk does not support the Common Internet File System.

Don't think you can - It seems there is a technical reason for it.

MBH71
Level 3

This confirms what I thought. A NetBackup SE recommended it as a solution after a demo and said it would work with our disk based backup but I guess he was wrong.