Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit which media servers are allowed to perform AIReplication

Mystre316
Level 4

Greetings,

NBU Version: 7.7.1 on Master/Media servers

Windows: 2K8 R2 for Windows and 2 dedicated Media servers. Additional media servers are mix and match of AIX, SUSE, REHL and Windows.

Writing to DataDomains, replicating to a DR site DataDomain.

Scenario:

With 7.7.1, we've discovered that if a media server is rebooted while a replicaiton is in the middle of writing from one DataDomain to another using AIR, the AIR SLP_name will fail, and repeated attempts of the SLP will fail with 191. We've been through Veritas/EMC support, we know how to rectify it.

Our sap guys seem content with rebooting their machines whenever they feel like it, interupting our SLPs and causing the above failure. The reboots are out of our control. The reason they have media servers is because their databases are extremely large and we can have them write directly to the DataDomain instead of using one of our own Media servers.

My question is, is it possible to limit which media servers are allowed to perform AIReplications?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't have access to NBU to check...
Is there perhaps an 'Alternate Read' option available in the SLP config? 
I know it is available for duplication.

Other than that, I am officially out of ideas.

Perhaps log a Support call?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Please try to change the DD storage unit to limit the media servers which can use it... There is a possibility to: "Only use the following media servers" - and select only the ones you are willing to use...
I would created new STU with this same disk pool and pointed only few media servers to it (the ones you want to) and then reconfigure your SAP policies to point to this new STU.... and SLP has to be modified to use new STU...

IMHO only by doing so you can limit what server will perform AIR...

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it CLI only? I've looked high and low throughout the DataDomain gui and cannot find anywhere to limit what media servers may be used for replication.

Or are you referring specifically to Netbackup Storage Units associated with a DataDomain storage unit?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

this is related to NBU configuration only... so search there...

If you're talking about the same settings I am thinking of, that setting only limits which machines can perform writes. It does not limit which machines can perform replications.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same option, are you refering to this one?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Yes this is the same settings...

If my memory serves me correctly - the server who written backup will attempt AIR ... In my env I had few STUs to each one was having access other media server and SLPs were then divided to different medias...

Unfortunatelly we have withdrawn ours DD from production more then a year ago, so ... can not help further...

Thanks again for your feedback. As you can see from the image, only one media server is allowed access to that STU. We do this to ensure that only that STU has access to the resources of that media server. Unfortunately 10 other media servers have done replications for this specific SLP and the same can be said for other SLPs across our environment. 

I appreciate your assistance however.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

So I am not sure what I have done in my env but it was working as I wanted to or I am mistaken ;) - I have good memory but short one ;)

Marianne

Try this: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000064668

nbemmcmd -changesetting -common_server_for_dup preferred -machinename <server-name>

You can also use 'required' instead of 'preferred'.

Thanks for the reply Marianne, I ran the command yesterday but doesn't seem to work with replications.

Marianne

I don't have access to NBU to check...
Is there perhaps an 'Alternate Read' option available in the SLP config? 
I know it is available for duplication.

Other than that, I am officially out of ideas.

Perhaps log a Support call?

Unfortunately not, unless there is through CLI. 

I was hoping I'd be able to find some info here instead of going through the rigmarole of their support. But I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do that.

Thanks for your assistance though. Marking your post as the solution since its the closest I could get to one.