cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Filesystem Backups with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

I want to cover the maximum file/folders available on a Redhat Linux 7 server. Which one should i use from below selection

/ with cross mount point enabled or ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES without cross mount.

The server having, Many filesystem outside the root(/). Having multiple LVMs and in Veritas cluster

No NFS mounts.

When tried backup with both option, found / with cross mount point have 600MB backup size more than the other one.

Please suggest which one is the best or both are having  same effect ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, you can select 'Allow Multiple data streams' in Policy Attributes.
A separate backup stream will be created for each mount point.
This way, when one stream fails, troubleshooting is easier and you can rerun the failed stream only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified

In my env I do this:

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES without cross mount points

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Both options are valid.

Using / with cross mount point, will be performed as a single stream backup, nice for tape based backup. Don't work really well for very large backups.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will create many concurrent streams, really idea for disk based backup, but may require more resource from the OS (and if done really dump, will tip over the OS at backup start time).

Marianne

For a server that is in a cluster, I won't do either.

When backing up the local hostnames, I would explicitly specify the non-shared mountpoints.

For clustered data, I would configure a policy for the virtual hostname with appropriate policy type to backup shared data.
e.g. - if Oracle is being clustered, configure Oracle policy to backup clustered instance.

If you backup a database with regular Standard policy, the backup will not be any good, because database files are in inconsistent state. Restoring the backed-up files will result in Oracle (or any other database type) failing to start.

Even if only file-level backups are needed, I would still configure a separate policy for the virtual hostname and shared mount points in Backup Selection. This way you are sure that the backup will follow the virtual hostname in case of a failover.

Thanks for the resposne. This is basically an application server in cluster and app team want everything to be covered on both the nodes include cluster drives and os files. I will take backup of both the nodes with standard ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in one policy so it should cover OS files from both nodes and cluster drives from active node.

Marianne

With ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, you can select 'Allow Multiple data streams' in Policy Attributes.
A separate backup stream will be created for each mount point.
This way, when one stream fails, troubleshooting is easier and you can rerun the failed stream only.