cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List contents of imported backup image

pep-e
Level 4

Hi there,

I just imported one backup image which was produced using a different NBU domain. NBU is telling me, using bpimagelist, that the backup image exists (after the Import). Now, I'd like to get a full listing (text that I can redirect to a file) of that backup image's contents, so that I can show it to the owners of the data, and then let them sleep well. bplist is telling me that "no entity was found", even though I try to use it in the simplest of ways (only specifying the dates range and the name of the client). Any ideas? Thanks! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pep-e
Level 4

OK. I think I got it. The "-PI" option seems to have done the trick. I am getting something now.. Just redirected the output to a text file so that I can take a look afterwards.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

pep-e
Level 4

Now I tried something, which is to complicate the syntax a little bit by adding -keyword "" and the options -C and -S. For -C, I put the client's name (as read on the image's name) and, for -S, I put the original Master server's name. The error I get now is:

EXIT STATUS 135: client is not validated to perform the requested operation

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bplist is the correct command, but the options supplied need to be 100% correct.

First option you need to double-check is the client name. It needs to be exactly as per the name in the image:
CLIENT1 != Client1 != client1 != client1.fqdn.

The next option to double-check is date-range of original backup.

Can you show us extract of Results of successfully imported image?
This will help to determine correct bplist options.

*** EDIT ****

-S must be the name of the master server where you have imported the image and where you may want to run the restore.

pep-e
Level 4

The "No.Restrictions" file didn't help. Actually, I can browse the image using the BAR utility, and then restore without any problem. What I'd like to get is a listing in text format. Still investigating..

pep-e
Level 4

Thanks, Marianne. I'll try that.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As stated by others - you must get the syntax exactly right.

If you can restore from it, and browse it in a GUI - then you can definitely list it.  If your list command fails, then  your list command is incorrect.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A "No.Restrictions" file completely opens up your backup environment and allows any client to restore any other client data.

It is quite rare to implement that file - unless security is of zero concern to you.

Marianne
Level 6

No.Restrictions is only neccessary if you want to initiate the restore from another client.

Carefully look at the options that you select in BAR GUI:
Server Name (Master) 
Client Name
Policy Type
Backup date

If the options used with bplist matches those used in BAR, the command will work.

You may wat to create bplist and bprestore log folders on the master under netbackup\logs.
After successful browse in BAR GUI, have a look at the options logged in bplist log.

Another 'must-have' log folder is bprd on the master.
If the folder does not exist, create it and restart NBU to enable the log.

**** EDIT ****

I found and example from an old bprd log after successful browse in BAR:

00:30:02.215 [4824.6664] <2> fileslist:    client = fpserver
00:30:02.215 [4824.6664] <2> fileslist:    client_type = 17

00:30:02.215 [4824.6664] <2> fileslist:    starttime = 1283506090
00:30:02.215 [4824.6664] <2> fileslist:    endtime = 1283506090

With this type of info, we can work out bplist command.

pep-e
Level 4

Hi sdo,

Actually this is an ad-hoc environment with no clients (except the Master server itself), built on purpose to import backup images taken on another master server. Anyway thanks, these comments are always useful and a good reminder.  :)

pep-e
Level 4

Hi,

I got entries like those after creating the log dirs, raising verbosity to 3 (should I go up to 5?) and then launching my bplist command. This looked interesting:

db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: cannot access() C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\db\client: No such file or directory (2)

The bplist log file didn't appear until I launched bplist on a cmd window. BAR doesn't make the bplist log file appear (pity).

Marianne
Level 6

I don't think you need to increase logging level.

bprd log will help. I'm sure about that.

The snippet that I have posted above was from GUI browse.

Just remember to restart NBU after creating bprd folder.

pep-e
Level 4

NBU version in the original NBU server and this one coincide (7.6.0.4). I don't mean they should, but they coincide.

Client name is correct. Dates range is actually wider than needed. I made sure there's no other backup image from the same policy in the same time range that could be creating confusion.

Just as a reminder: I managed to import the backup image. I can browse its contents on BAR.

After browsing on BAR, I looked and the bprd log and saw the same error message I was reporting before, hence it actually has no importance. The name of the client is correct. NBU server name is correct (the one I am trying to run this on). Start time and end time appear as numbers, but that should be OK, too. Filepath appears in Unix format, cool, although I tried with/ '/', "/', \, '\' "\" and the end of the bplist command, with no success. There's a "sched_type" parameter on bprd log file that I don't know how to translate into bplist syntax.

pep-e
Level 4

OK. I think I got it. The "-PI" option seems to have done the trick. I am getting something now.. Just redirected the output to a text file so that I can take a look afterwards.

Marianne
Level 6

Something like '-R /' will also work. or '-R 5 /' for 5 levels deep.

Without a starting point, the search will be done as per the folder where you issue the command from.

pep-e
Level 4

Thanks a lot Marianne and sdo. I got the listing and my user (customer) is happy. :)