cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiveUpdate policies

Jacob
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to create LiveUpdate policies and add clients to those policies on the command line; at least on unix? We have a few thousand clients and it is impossible to keep track of those in the GUI.

Hope someone can assist me.

Thanks, Jacob

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Jacob,

I haven't tried it with LiveUpdate policies but new clients can usually be added to existing policies with a form of the bpplclients command.  Check out the Commands Guide (p. 224-230) for the syntax.

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Commands for UNIX and Linux

Good luck!

Message Edited by CRZ on 05-19-2008 11:04 AM

Jacob
Level 4

Thanks for the answer, Chris.

I don’t think it will work with the bpplclients command as it can’t find the LiveUpdate policies. I have made a LiveUpdate policy called LiveUpdate-Windows with the GUI and added a client but bpplclients can’t find the policy (removed server names from the output):

[……:root]/root # bpplclients LiveUpdate-Windows

the specified policy does not exist in the configuration database

Just to try out that the command works with backup policies.

[……:root]/root # bpplclients NT_FS_HC

Hardware         OS               Client

---------------  ---------------  --------------

PC               Windows2003      Server.domain1.domain2

Backup policies are stored at […..:root]/usr/openv/netbackup/db/, but I’m not able to find my LiveUpdate policies at that position.

If there isn’t any command line tools for managing LiveUpdate it might be an idea to add it, as LiveUpdate is a very nice feature :)

Thanks, Jacob

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Jacob,

Turns out that you need to point your bpplclients command to the right place, and you do that by adding the -internal command line switch.  So, your syntax would look something like:

bpplclients <LUpolicy> -internal [ -L | -U | -l | -noheader]
bpplclients <LUpolicy> -internal -add <client> <hw> <os>
bpplclients <LUpolicy> -internal -delete <client>

...and so on. 

Unfortunately, this isn't documented....yet.  I see a TechNote in our future, thanks to you.  :)

Jacob
Level 4
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply :)

BR Jacob