cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading nbu 6.5.3 win client update into bmr srt?

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
Has anyone had any luck loading the 6.5.3 update into the bmr srt?  I get an error every time.  In one of the education books it states that if the client is updated the srt needed to be updated or the restore will fail, if thats true I won't be able to use the bmr functionality unless I can get the client updated in the srt? 
9 REPLIES 9

reson8
Level 4
How are you performing the NetBackup client update?

You need to run the Boot Server Assistant and run "SRT Administration Wizard"

"Add or Update Packages to a Shared Resource Stree" > "Update the version of NetBackup Client in a Shared Resource Tree"

BMR should still be able to function,  it's important to keep clients updated as there may be updates to binaries which fix restore issues.

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
thats the way i was doing it....and it errors out...

reson8
Level 4
Have you tried recreating the SRT with NBU BMR at 6.5.3?

There were some known issues with SRT creation prior to 6.5.3.

If your Boot server is different to your master server, ensure that 6.5.3 update has been applied.

Did you want to provide us with the error you are receiving?

AmolV
Level 5
Like reson8 has mentioned, it would be nice if you could provide the error message/log snippets (Dont forget to crank up the logging level)

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
Netbackup Update.msi is not a valid netbackup client install image, this is after I recreated the srt.....I have to load a full blown client in order to get it to work i.e. the 6.5 GA nbu client.  If i go to update the client i get the same error.  So my question still is how to get the 6.5.3 client update into the SRT?

AmolV
Level 5
Try using: "Add or Update Packages to Shared Resource Tree" -> "Add Release Update or Maintenance Pack to a Shared Resource Tree" option and use the same .msi that you used earlier.

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
the problem is that its an update.msi not 6.5.3 full blown client, it doesn't work no matter what, anyone have any luck loading it into srt?

AmolV
Level 5
I've done it for 6.5.3 and I know it works.
You are right, 6.5.3 is not a full blown client and is only a patch.
So on creating a fresh SRT, you first add the base client package of 6.5 and then use the "Add or Update Packages to Shared Resource Tree" -> "Add Release Update or Maintenance Pack to a Shared Resource Tree" option (and not the "Update the version of NetBackup Client in a Shared Resource Tree" option) and the client in SRT gets updated.
Can you confirm which option from the Boot Server Assistant, SRT management GUI you are using?

reson8
Level 4

Updates can fail if BMR executables are not updated properly.  This can happen in the event of a installation move, for exampl

Original Installation directory > C:\program files\veritas
New location directory > d:\program files\veritas

If your installation was moved, check both VERITAS locations for the BMR binaries, and if they exist copy them and overwrite the current ones in new installation path.