cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log Directory Full

JasonRkr
Level 4

Good morning.  The /log directory on my appliance is full.  It's looking like much of the space is used by old core files in /log/crash.  Can those be deleted?

Thanks,

Jason

6 REPLIES 6

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi,

yes these files can be deleted

for more information, check this : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046784

Hamza_H,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I removed some of the files as a test and while it shows used space has dropped it's still reporting 100% full.  

/dev/mapper/system-log 182G 179G 0 100% /log

Is there a service I need to restart for it to recognize the space again?

Thanks again,

Jason

Hamza_H
   VIP   

indeed that is strange..

it shows 179G or 182G is used, so at least 3G should be free.. 

try to reboot the server..

also, check if you still have dump or crash files created in the folder..

Hi @JasonRkr 

You need to remember that in Linux, a percentage of the file system sapce is reserved so although you have 3GB free space, this still registers as 100% full (the perentage can vary and is typically 10%). 

If the reboot hasn't done anything (which I suspect it wont), use the du command in the log directory to identify the directories consuming all the space. The idea is starting from the /log folder, run the command "du -sh *" - this will produce a listing of all the folders/files in the /log folder with the total size in human readable format. Then drill down each of the large directories to identify where all the space is being consumed. 

There is little required information contained in the log directory, so removing old log files is fine. I would also remove ALL core files (although identifying what is generating them first would be a good idea as there may be an EEB to address it). 

Cheers
David

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

hi @JasonRkr 

Also run NBU command to delete old logs :

-b after
vxlogmgr --del -p 51216 -b '12/28/2022 12:00:00 PM'
-e before

vxlogmgr does not delete core files.

DPeaco
   VIP   

Delete all the core files and remove all the log files older than 2 days. You can also just delete everything in the log directory.

Thanks,
Dennis