cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logs for bpimage -compress -allclients

Amar_Rajan
Level 3

Could someone please advise me where i can see the logs/progress(in /netbackup/logs folder) of the command bpimage -compress -allclients. Also, it will be appreciative to give me a snapshot of the logs (as an example) on how it would look and key things to take note on.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would look in bpdbm log on the master server.
As this is an admindcmd command, there may me useful info in admin folder as well.
These logs are 'legacy' logs and the log folders do not exist by default and need to be created. 
To enable the logging for bpdbm, NBU needs to be restarted.

To understand more about logging, the first to understand is the Process Flow Diagram. 
Appendix A of NBU 7.1 Troubleshooting Guide explains the processes and what runs where.

Using logs is explained in Chapter 3 of the same Troubleshooting Guide.

I have posted a short explanation of how to read logs over here: 
How to use logs 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

I would look in bpdbm log on the master server.
As this is an admindcmd command, there may me useful info in admin folder as well.
These logs are 'legacy' logs and the log folders do not exist by default and need to be created. 
To enable the logging for bpdbm, NBU needs to be restarted.

To understand more about logging, the first to understand is the Process Flow Diagram. 
Appendix A of NBU 7.1 Troubleshooting Guide explains the processes and what runs where.

Using logs is explained in Chapter 3 of the same Troubleshooting Guide.

I have posted a short explanation of how to read logs over here: 
How to use logs 

Amar_Rajan
Level 3

Thanks for your reply Marianne..!! Information is useful especially the error format. I am reading the troubleshooting guide.

I have one last query, could you tell me how to check/read ndmp logs. I tried to find the error which i have in activity monitor's job details  in ndmpagent logs on tape media server, but i am seeing only connection informations in there. I tried using vxlogview with orginator id 134, but still i couldn't the errors. Could you suggest me where else i can check the ndmp logs. It would be better if you give all the location where i can check for ndmp logs and errors.

Thanks Again for your valuable information and service.

Marianne

There are different ways to use vxlogview...

Firstly - you need to run the command on the media server configured as NDMP media server - that is where information to OID 134 will be logged.

Easiest way to check the log will be to specify a start and end time that corresponds with timestamps seen in Activity Monitor:

vxlogview -b <StartDate> -e <EndDate> -o <OID>

Format of date fields (extract from  NetBackup Commands Reference Guide :(

Surround the date by single quotes in UNIX and double quotes in Windows.
For example:
-b ’1/1/2013 12:00:00 AM’

More options and examples in the Commands manual...

PS:
Please... one topic per forum post?

Amar_Rajan
Level 3

Sure Marianne & thanks for info,  will keep one topic per forum post. Since this is my first query, was bit in eagar mood to learn :), Will close this post with the following comment and start a new one if required.

And, yes i used the date with originator id, but i haven't tried in media server, used only in master. Will try this and try to get some more info from the logs.

vxlogview -p 51216 -d all -b "01/24/15 4:00:00 AM" -e "01/24/15 4:50:00 AM" 
vxlogview -p 51216 -L -E -W -C -M -b "01/24/15 4:00:00 AM" -e "01/24/15 4:50:00 AM" 

Thanks Again.