cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longshot ask but can anyone recognize this file from its contents?

jeffhhs76-msh
Level 3

All,

I found a file on my BYO NetBackup Linux Master server whos name was simply a comma. The contents of the file is as follows.. Can anyone identify this file from its contents? File was found in a users home directory.

jeffhhs76msh_0-1646923460270.png

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @jeffhhs76-msh 

It's almost certainly the result of a mistake with the options to an "awk" command. The file is what is created by awk when you use the "-d" option (dump variables).

What the user was trying to do, is another matter. They could have been intending to use cut rather than awk (i.e. cut -d,) to filter some output but typed awk instead, or use the -d option thinking it has the same meanaing with awk as it does for cut. etc.....

Definitely not worth worrying about (unless you want to educate your users) and not from NetBackup.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with David, Stefanos and Jeff. Looks like a file created by a misbehaving script.

/Nicolai

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

hi @jeffhhs76-msh 

The files doesn't have a Veritas look and feel look to it. What was the file called in the users home directory ?

/Nicolai

I agree.. The filename was a comma Nicolai.. Just a comma.. Nothing else. I have deleted the file already but took a screenshot of the contents before I did. I can see awk related entities in there and I'm wondering if this is a file that may have been placed to set variables to another script that may be parsing the messages file.

jeffhhs76msh_0-1646926128218.png

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

well , I'm used to find strange files to my servers.
Some times I make typo errors to my scripts and send the output to files with funny names. Like @," etc...

Same here Stefanos.. Done that myself. I don't think this is anything to be concerned with but I would just like to make sure.

Hi @jeffhhs76-msh 

It's almost certainly the result of a mistake with the options to an "awk" command. The file is what is created by awk when you use the "-d" option (dump variables).

What the user was trying to do, is another matter. They could have been intending to use cut rather than awk (i.e. cut -d,) to filter some output but typed awk instead, or use the -d option thinking it has the same meanaing with awk as it does for cut. etc.....

Definitely not worth worrying about (unless you want to educate your users) and not from NetBackup.

Cheers
David

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with David, Stefanos and Jeff. Looks like a file created by a misbehaving script.

/Nicolai

Thanks David... Thought so too. Just wanted to see what everyone else here thought about it.