cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Barcode labels - need to re-import

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
I've got a couple of tapes with lost barcode labels (don't ask), and that have active images.  They now have new barcode labels (that don't match the original numbers).  When I try to initiate an Import, I'm told that the barcode "000071" (new barcode) doesn't match the Media ID "NG0007" (original barcode), and it fails.

How can I recover the images from these two tapes?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@Chuck Stevens wrote:

The new and old barcodes are very different; how can I create a barcode generation rule that turns "000071" into "NG0007"?

Well, since this is (hopefully) a one time thing, you can specify a barcode rule that says "All barcodes are NG0007".

#N:#G:#0:#0:#0:#7

Obviously you'd only use that rule this one time, then get rid of it.  Or modify it for the next tape you want to do.

I tried deleting NG0007 (the original barcode) from the database, then re-importing 000071 (the new barcode), but I get the same error when I try to import it ("Media mounted has media id NG0007, but 000071 was requested. Must add NG0007 to Media Manager volume database and retry.")

Ooo...  I don't think you wanted to do that.  You shouldn't have needed to delete anything, just modify the barcode for that volume in the catalog.

Now I think you'll have to actually re-import it.

--
Darren

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Use vmphysinv to read recorded label, then create barcode generation rule accordingly and import it.  You will have to delete current  media record first before you import it back.

STATUS CODE 176: An import of a media fails with "cannot perform specified media import operation" when importing a tape from a different VERITAS NetBackup (tm) environment with Media ID Generation rules in effect for either environment.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278893

Details:
Overview:
STATUS CODE 176: An import of a media fails with "cannot perform specified media import operation" when importing a tape from a different NetBackup environment, with Media ID Generation rules in effect for either environment.

Troubleshooting:
Examine if a Media ID Generation Rule is being used at either site for the applicable robots. If Media ID Generation settings differ between sites, NetBackup may inventory the media with a Media ID that is different than the actual recorded Media ID if that media is moved to another site. This is what causes the errors seen below. The media must have the same NetBackup Media ID at both sites.

Examine Media ID Generation Rules by following these steps:
1. Within the Windows NetBackup Administration Console, expand Media and Device Management in the left pane
2. Right Click Media and select Inventory Robot to access the Robot Inventory Screen
3. In the Advanced Options of the Robot Inventory screen, Click Media ID Generation

Note: In earlier versions of NetBackup 4.5, the Media ID Generation rules are accessible directly from the Inventory Robot screen.

Master Log Files:
Import Log:
9/7/2005 11:15:11 AM - begin Import operation
9/7/2005 11:15:14 AM - started process bptm (1560)
9/7/2005 11:15:14 AM - started process bptm (1560)
9/7/2005 11:15:14 AM - mounting 000001
9/7/2005 11:15:56 AM - Error bptm(pid=1560) Media mounted has media id of 0001L1, but 000001 was requested. Must add 0001L1 to Media Manager volume database and retry.
9/7/2005 11:15:58 AM - Error bpimport(pid=3560) Status = cannot perform specified media import operation.
9/7/2005 11:15:59 AM - end Import operation; operation time: 00:00:48
cannot perform specified media import operation(176)

Media Server Log Files:
BPTM
13:31:27.022 <16> load_media: Media mounted has media id of 0001L1, but 000001 was requested. Must add 0001L1 to Media Manager volume database and retry.
13:31:27.037 <2> getsockconnected: host=tsbcka service=bpcd address=172.27.18.119 protocol=tcp reserved port=13782
13:31:27.037 <2> getsockconnected: Connect to tsbcka on port 900
13:31:27.037 <2> logconnections: BPCD CONNECT FROM 172.27.18.119.900 TO 172.27.18.119.13782
13:31:27.162 <2> io_close: closing D:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\media\tpreq/000001, from .\bptm.c.13417
13:31:27.162 <2> tpunmount: tpunmount'ing D:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\media\tpreq/000001
13:31:27.272 <2> TpUnmountWrapper: SCSI RELEASE
13:31:27.475 <2> bptm: EXITING with status 176 <----------

Resolution:
Perform the following steps on the site where the media are being imported:

1. Within the Media section of the NetBackup Administration Console, delete the media in question that cannot be imported. This will allow the media to be re-inventoried properly.
2. Change the Media ID Generation configuration (for the applicable robots) to match that of the other site. This may mean simply removing Media ID Generation rules temporarily, if they are not in use in the other NetBackup environment.
3. Reinventory the media from step 1, using the "Update Volume Configuration" option
4. Revert the Media ID Generation rule back to its former setting as needed. However, when media is imported from another site, this may need to be changed once again.

With the media inventoried as the proper Media ID, the import should now proceed as expected.

Caution: Always be sure that media is imported as soon as possible after inventory, so that it is not left unassigned and overwritten by a backup job.

Alternatively, mchange -m -barcode " will to change the media id to match RVSN and not the barcode listed in the volume database. This manual update to the volume database will allow an import or other operation when the media ID and barcode are mismatched.

Other workaround is Import the tape using a standalone drive. This will not read the barcode on the tape, it will only read the recorded media ID. This will allow the Phase 1 import to complete successfully. Once the Phase 2 import of the tape is complete, duplicate the images to a different tape in the library. Once the images are duplicated, the previous tape can be expired and relabeled using the new barcode.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&message.id=7823

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Hmm. I don't think that article entirely applies to my situation.

The new and old barcodes are very different; how can I create a barcode generation rule that turns "000071" into "NG0007"?

I tried deleting NG0007 (the original barcode) from the database, then re-importing 000071 (the new barcode), but I get the same error when I try to import it ("Media mounted has media id NG0007, but 000071 was requested. Must add NG0007 to Media Manager volume database and retry.")

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
First of all, why the import?  If these are active images, shouldn't the media still be present in the catalog?  If this is true, then you probably just need to change the barcode stored in the catalogs with vmchange.

vmchange -barcode 000071 -m NG0007

Once done, the new barcode will appear in 'vmquery -m NG0007' output, and the media manager will know what volume to load when NG0007 is present.

Now if in addition to the lost barcode you're also importing them into a new server (where NG0007 isn't already present), then you'll have more work to do.

--
Darren

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Well, no, the original barcodes aren't in the database any more. Part of that previous posting had me delete them.  So I definitely do need to re-import.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@Chuck Stevens wrote:

Well, since this is (hopefully) a one time thing, you can specify a barcode rule that says "All barcodes are NG0007".

#N:#G:#0:#0:#0:#7

Obviously you'd only use that rule this one time, then get rid of it.  Or modify it for the next tape you want to do.

Ooo...  I don't think you wanted to do that.  You shouldn't have needed to delete anything, just modify the barcode for that volume in the catalog.

Now I think you'll have to actually re-import it.

--
Darren

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Got it (I think):

- Made sure the new barcodes were deleted.
- vmadd -m NG0007 -mt HCART3
- vmchange -barcode 000071 -m NG0007
- Inventory the robot
- Initiate import of NG0007

So far it's working.

Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by Chuck Stevens on 04-04-200702:36 PM

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
Good deal.

I was looking all through 'vmchange' for how to add a volume directly.  I completely forgot about 'vmadd' being a separate utility.   :)

--
Darren