cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus backup starts but It's not writing any data

gsilvaponce
Level 3

Hi

I changed my lotus server and I configured it like media server. When I try to backup it, the task starts but doenst write. Appears message "begin Writing" but nothin happens.

Attach the bpkar log

10 REPLIES 10

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

One thing I see, is that there a complaint in the bpbkar log about the backup directive

<16> dos_backup::tfs_scanstart: ERR - ALL LOTUS_DATABASES is not a supported file list directive!

maybe the policy type has been changed by accident ? or there is missing an underscore after ALL ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Hi Mike!

Thank you so much!

Yes, there is missing an underscore after ALL. The name of the directive is ALL_LOTUS_DATABASES but I don't have this directive in my backup policy. If I add this directive to my policy, I receive the error "invalid filelist specification (59)"

I checked the manual and I think everything it's ok. I can backup individual databases but I can't backup the whole directory.... 

The only post i found about this issue is speaking about tracker service but I have this service deleted in my server...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you confirm that you have valid Application & Database license on the master server and that the policy type is LotusNotes?

Please also tell us which OS and NBU version on Master, Media server and Notes client as well as Lotus Notes version.

OS on Notes client is important because ALL_LOTUS_DATABASES directive is only supported on Unix clients.
For Windows clients, you need to specify the paths to database locations.
(Documented in NetBackup for Lotus Notes Administrator's Guide  )

Hi! 

Both of them are Windows Server 2008 R2. My Lotus Notes version is 8.5

Attach my policy. I don't have ALL_LOTUS_DATABASES configured. Only TRANSATION LOGS

Attach a new capture of bpbkar

Thank you so much!!

Marianne

You forgot to add attachments.

Please try to upload logs and output as .txt files (e.g. bpbkar.txt). 
Other formats cannot be opened on mobile devices. 

Marianne

Have a look at bpbkar log - there are 1052 'Severe' errors <16>, e.g.

13:16:57.911: [5100.4028] <16> FileAction(): ERR - NSFSearch() Found Unknown item $DAOSSTATE=0
13:16:57.911: [5100.4028] <16> FileAction(): ERR - NSFSearch() Found Unknown item $DAOSOBJCOUNT=0
13:16:57.911: [5100.4028] <16> FileAction(): ERR - NSFSearch() Found Unknown item $DAOSSTOREDBYTES=0

I have never seen this and no idea what it means.

Has this policy worked fine before? 
Why do you have 'Follow NFS' and 'Cross mount points' selected? 

What happens if you remove BACKUP_TRANSACTION_LOGS ?
Or add if after  E:\Lotus\Domino\Data ?

It seems as if bpbkar is going into a hang state after 13:37:56.
Can you see if the process is still active in Task Manager? 
Any errors in Event Viewer Application log?

Marianne

I did a Google search for hanging Lotus Notes backups and found these:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Lotus-Notes-Backup-hang/td-p/739673

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000019109 
The TN above shows how to enable Notes debug log that may help to find the problem. 

Hi!

Every file start with "$" is a Lotus Database Index. I think we dont need to bakup them.

About the policie. This policie works perfect with the old server during 6 years! And We didn't changhe anything. If I use the policie to backup an individual database, It works!!! 

On the other hand, I have  'Follow NFS' and 'Cross mount points' selected because we have the same infraestructure in other Office and the backup is working. They have theses options selected in the policie.

About the service, yes It's running in the server. I checked this morning and It's ok

In the Log viewer in Media server, I have one error about This:

netbackup "ltid cannot be started while resources are assigned to the host"

Marianne

I don't understand what this means:

About the service, yes It's running in the server. I checked this morning and It's ok 

I was asking about bpbkar process. It should only be running while a backup is active.
If bpbkar is running but no further entries after the last one in the log that you posted yesterday, then something is wrong.

Have you had a look at the 2 links in my previous post regarding hanging Lotus Notes backup?

Is normal filesystem backup working?  (MS-Windows policy with small folder selected.)

Is the Notes backup working when you select another media server Storage Unit?

Does the Notes server have enough resources (cpu & memory) to be media server as well? 
Have you checked resource utilization when a backup is kicked off?

The message in Event Viewer is another issue and not related to the Notes backup. 
No errors/messages from Lotus Notes in Event Viewer when the backup seems to be hanging?