Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low backup speed

nerminator
Level 3

Hi,

NetBackup version 9.1.0.1

We have Veritas Flex Appliance and on it media server and disk storage server.

We have 2x10Gb bond connections on media server and we are trying to backup Oracle Rac One Node db.

We get backup speed varying from 120000Kb/s to 400000Kb/s. We checked and switch sends to Media server around 3Gb/s so it is not on client side.

We are expecting it to be much faster  then this.

I have seen some posts here about NET_BUFFER_SZ = 0,  but they are all around 10 years old and not working for me. Not sure if applicable anymore.

Is there any finetuning to be done that can increase the speed?

Help will be really appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @nerminator 

You should try to identify first where your bottleneck occurs. NetBackup provides a utility that can help (nbperfchk), refer to this article on its use https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038623.html

This utility will help identify where the issue is the network, pulling the data from disk on the client, or writing at the media server. It would also be useful if possible to verify that you can extract the data out of the database any faster. 

Once you identify where the slow down is occurring, then you can sensibly start tuning the performance.

David

DPeaco
   VIP   

You can also review the client side logs, media server logs, and the master side logs and look for wait times. the log entries are really good clues as to where the wait times (slow down) is happening. Taken from a bptm log in my solutoin:

write_data: waited for full buffer 9554 times, delayed 93479 times

This waited to write the data it pulled from the client side. A sign of a busy media server.

Thanks,
Dennis

bhdrkzltn
Level 4

Hi,

What's the number of allocated RMAN channels being set in the policy?

Have you considered using client side deduplication?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

NET_BUFFER_SZ = 0 is a antiquated setting. See:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016112