cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ltid is restarting automatically in Windows 2000 master server

Elango_G1
Level 4

We are seeing the ltid service in master server restarting automatically on daily basis and sometimes it won't start so someone has to start the service. We would like to know what could be the reason for getting restarted automatically and your suggestions will be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We saw emm and other NBU services being killed by Mcafee. See this TN for exclude list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658 PS: EMM logging is enabled by default. The vxlogcfg command will increase logging level. The command is in ....Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
You dont mention the NBU version. create the \veritas\ivolmgr\debug\ltid\ directory Add VERBOSE to the volmgr\vm.conf and restart ltid when no tape backups are running. When ltid restarts on its own again, post the log in that directory.

Elango_G1
Level 4

Thanks revarooo,

Master server NBU version - 6.5.4

I have added a entry name called " VERBOSE" in vm.conf file. I will get back to you once the servoce has been restarted automatically.

Marianne

You REALLY need to upgrade.

Microsoft has dropped support for W2000 many years ago and Symantec has dropped support for 6.5.x about 3 years ago.

Why use unsupported software to protect your companies most valuable assets - it's data?

Elango_G1
Level 4

My apologies, we have seen only Netbackup Enterprose Media manager is restarting automatically once in a week and backup are in hung state inturns we are rebooting master server once in a week.

@Marianne, Thanks for the suggestion. We would like to get to know the issue behind the backups are frequently move to hung state. If it is Enterprose Media manger service then shall i go ahead to create a filder nbemm under /debug directory please.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, you enable the EMM log with :

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

The '6' is the log level, 1 - lowest, 6 = highest.  Can you vast amounts of diskspace if it's a busy system.

See my signiture for details about logs types and locations.

Elango_G1
Level 4

Thanks for the information,

is this the way to enable the logs for the issue - nbemm restart automatically please?

if so i will check the link you provided in the signature and get back here after it restarts automatically with logs information.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, what is restarting, ltid or nbemm ?

You mention nbemm in your last post, but ltid in the thread title ...

Marianne
Mcafee AV has been known for stopping NBU services. EMM will terminate if NBU disk fills up. Event Viewer Application and System logs should be checked in addition to NBU logs. Not sure if stopped services has anything to do with hung backups - not enough info to say. Aging server and OS on top of problematic Windows 2000 TCP stack may also be at fault here That is the problem with unsupported OS and backup software. Who do you call for help?

Elango_G1
Level 4

@mph999, we are seeing Netbackup Enterprise Media manager not Netbackup Device Manager. If i would like enable the logging for nbemm then what is the place to run the suggested command please?

@Marianne, i can see sometimes Anti virus - Mcafee is reading the files /installed path/Verias/Netbackup as well. Does it impact to any services or do we exclude all the Veritas content Mcafee? and we have enough disk space in installed drive also. kindly suggest me what needs to be done.

Marianne
We saw emm and other NBU services being killed by Mcafee. See this TN for exclude list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658 PS: EMM logging is enabled by default. The vxlogcfg command will increase logging level. The command is in ....Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

Elango_G1
Level 4

Thanks Marianne, the link is very useful to us. We will add all the process and exclude the mentioned path from Macfee. Hope this resolve the issue,