cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP3 PULLED

Tim_D
Not applicable
I was just speaking to a Veritas guy and he told me that MP3 has been taken off the veritas website as it has a load of problems. I just installed it & on a load of clients!

He said a new version some time this/next week will be avail....!
8 REPLIES 8

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
is this for 5.0 or 5.1 ?. boy am i glad i always lag behind with upgrades/patches. My boss and a few of us have a saying - "we're not beta testers for companies patches" :)

patrickkuah
Level 6
should be 5.1. I just checked the support website and don't see MP3 for windows anymore.

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
we've had awful problems for 3 solid years with 4.5FP6, we went FP8 in April this year and excepting 2 write errors (tapes since destroyed) have (touch wood) not had one single blip with NetBackup in 3months. A record for me as i've been using NBU for 5yrs since version 3.1.1 and have never gone this long without error!.
We are looking to go 5.1 to get some disk staging functionality but as ever i'm very dubious about upgrading as it's a lottery. We've spoken to some Netapp guys and hear that 30% of Netapp code is in 6.0 BUT there is no way we're gonna go near 6.0 for ages after as we simply can't afford to be at risk of bugs/'features' with our backups.

ps Don't get me wrong i love some of their products - NBU especially, Volume Mgr, File System, Flashsnap especially.

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
Is this new version to be MP4 or just a rerelease of MP3 and if so will people be notified? in case some people do not realize this.

Daniel_Ryan
Level 3
That's interesting. We just upgraded from 4.5 FP6 to 5.3 MP3 per our SE. The only problem we had is with vault - so far. Otherwise, we've had some problems but nothing that has been serious. We've moved to AIX so far so good. But this scares me to death that this has been done. This does not help my confidence in the product whatsoever.

patrickkuah
Level 6
I declared war on status 1 since MP3 applied ... and vaulting keep failing as it need perfect status 0.

G_S
Level 4
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277609.htm

5.1 MP3 was pulled because of the issue above (which I actually reported about 3 weeks ago). MP3a is expected on 7/13. The information I'm getting from Veritas is the only difference is bptm. So if you've already upgraded clients then there shouldn't be any need to revisit them, just master/media servers. That being said they originally told us that the temp bptm executable they gave us would be able to read duplicated images written w the orginal bptm from MP3, however, that's not the case so if you're running MP3 you may very well be creating duplicates you won't be able to read. Either hold off on MP3 if you haven't done it yet or call Veritas asap and get the updated bptm module.

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
Has anyone tried out MP3a yet? Anything seem any better? We put MP3 on and ever since have had issue after issue.