cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Backup Options

Andrew_B1
Level 3

I'm looking for "creative" ways to backup SQL without having a bunch of disk for .bak files or having to be tied to using the NetBackup MS SQL client to perform restores.

Pain Points:
Having to use the MS Client GUI to create the .bch file and modifing the file for move templates since we want our DBA team to be in control of restoring their own databases this causes some frustration.  Almost 90% of our restores are redirected to QA or DEV environments.
The need for automated restores to refresh QA and DEV enviroments daily/weekly.  Currently we still use disk and sql magic for this.

Please help!

2 REPLIES 2

Oddy
Level 5
Employee
Andrew,

Not sure if there is any easy ways to do an alternative sql restore automatically since you need to run a sql script and specify the backup image you need in the script on the destination client.

I would suggest to manually create the the move script from the command line.

I.e your SQL DBA can run from the command line
<install dir>\netbackup\bin\bplist -C <sql source client> -t 15 -l -R /

This will list the backup image you need to restore, edit your sql move script and copy the backup image you want to restore from the bplist output to the NBIMAGE line in the the sql move script.

When this is done you can run the script from the command line
<install dir>\netbackup\bin\dbbackex -f <path to the move script>

If you want to do this automatically, you can look into to create a script to grep out the latest backup image from bplist and paste it into the script and run it on the destination client.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Set up a disk drive X:\Backup

Have the DBA's setup sql backups to that dir.
They can do sub dir, and they can control how long they stay on disk..........

Then you setup a policy to backup X:\Backup from all the sql servers ( at a time AFTER the backup to disk is done) say 2:00 am

Now, if they need to do a restore the DBA's have the most recent copy on disk (no need to call you) or even 2 or 3 copies on disk.

If they need an older version they ask you, you restore it to X:\Restore

Then again the DBA's do the recovery.

This way you are only doing backups and restores.
And the DBA's do the recovery.
Each person doing what they know.

the DBA's don't need to know how to use NB, and you don't need to know how to recover an SQL database.