cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL backup

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

environment: Windows 2008 R2 with Netbackup 7.6.0.2

I am implementing MS SQL backups. At the moment I installed the agent on one of our test servers. Also there is a policy configured to backup the entire database. Together with our DBA I succeeded to make a backup.

So all goes well actually. However our DBA's need to get familiar with the tools and start to have confidence in Netbackup. 

In the past I worked with Oracle DBA's and they can do backups and restores with RMAN. That interacts with Netbackup. Is there something like that for MS SQL? Can the MS SQL DBA's use their tools to have interaction with Netbackup? Or can they just use the Netbackup tools? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you prefer DBA based control of scheduling, refer to chapter

"Performing user-directed operations with dbbackex"

in Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide.

Michal

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

The NBU for SQL GUI on the SQL server is the only interface to be used to backup, restore, or to create backup or restore scripts.

The NBU for SQL GUI makes SQL the easiest database to implement - for NBU admins and dba's.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

agreed, you cannot use for example SQL Server Management Studio or native MS SQL commands to backup/restore to/from NetBackup.

Michal

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Ok thanks for the quick answer, then I have to teach our DBA's. 

Can they schedule their backups from the NBU GUI on the database server? I don't want to give them access on the master server or on the Netbackup Admin Console. 

Marianne
Level 6

Nope. Same as Oracle or any other db backup.

Creating Policies and backup scheduling can only be done from NBU Admin console on a master or media server. Or from Windows Admin Console on a Windows desktop that has been added to SERVER entries on the master.

Or from NBU Java Console with neccesary permissions for the relevant user in auth.conf.

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

But what I meant what the Oracle DBA's did is they scheduled or started their backups with Oracle Grid Control, Oracle Grid control started an RMAN script and that initiated the backup. 

What I am looking for now is something simulair for MS SQL.

Marianne
Level 6

Let your SQL dba's create the scripts and let you know the location and name of script, when to run the backup and the retention.

Create a policy to automate the backup.

That is how most environments run their SQL backups.

Michal_Mikulik1

If you prefer DBA based control of scheduling, refer to chapter

"Performing user-directed operations with dbbackex"

in Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide.

Michal