cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL database is ignored when doing backup

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my master server and media servers are all NBU 7.1 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1. I have a cluster SQL server (windows 2003, MS SQL 2005, MS cluster). I installed NBU 7.1 client on both physical nodes of the cluster.

In MS SQL agent, I connect to virtual SQL cluster name and generate a script to back up all DBs in the cluster SQL server. However, when I ran the SQL backup from master server, it only backed up master and some other default databases and the user database was not backed up. The strange thing is the backup job completed with status 0.

I tried to create another script to back up the user database only. This time the backup job failed with status 2 and it said the user database is involved in another process and cannot be backed up. I checked with DBA but they said there are no other backup activities run at the time when i tested the backup.

Need some advice for this issue. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

If unable to clear the lock then restart SQL Server, or reboot the server

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We need to see the logs please - on the client in the netbackup\logs\mssql_backup_failures and user_ops\mssql\logs\

Also - are there several SQL Instances involved here?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another log needed for troubleshooting: dbclient.
Please create the folder under ..\netbackup\logs if it does not exist.

Please share your backup script as well.
As a matter of interest - where did you create the backup script? On shared storage (so that you need only 1 copy) or on local disk (C:\.... ) on both nodes (2 copies)?
The reason for my question is to ensure that the script will be accessible after a failover.