Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP Catalog Location

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hiya,

Since 2.6.1 there has been a new MSDP catalog partition on the appliances and I was just wondering if there is any kind of best practice of where it should be stored? On the base partition away from my MSDP partition? On the same partition as the MSDP? Or does it not matter at all? I'm inclined to stick it on the base partition, but just seeing if there was any best practices for it yet.

Regards,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo

Page 46 of the NetBackup 7.6.1 Deduplication Guide:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC7671.html

...says:

"For performance optimization, Symantec recommends that you use a separate and faster disk for the deduplication database (that is, the MSDP catalog). If you use separate storage for the deduplication database, NetBackup still uses the 96 percent threshold to protect the data storage from any possible overload."

It seems to me that the "MSDP Catalog" is the new version of what used to be known as the "MSDP DB".  And so should reside on the faster (wider) storage, e.g. a storage shelf, and so, on a 52x0, not on the slower disks in the appliance head unit.

I don't know much about 5330 yet.  Maybe someone else can comment on the speed and type of disks, and/or parity groups, in a 5330.

If you have a choice of disk for your "MSDP Catalog", I'd be inclined to place it on the fastest storage you have access to.  I suspect that the "MSDP Catalog" will experience lots and lots of random read and random write IO.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Nothing is mentioned in the 7.6.1 MSDP Blueprints

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-media-server-deduplication-pool

sdo

Page 46 of the NetBackup 7.6.1 Deduplication Guide:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC7671.html

...says:

"For performance optimization, Symantec recommends that you use a separate and faster disk for the deduplication database (that is, the MSDP catalog). If you use separate storage for the deduplication database, NetBackup still uses the 96 percent threshold to protect the data storage from any possible overload."

It seems to me that the "MSDP Catalog" is the new version of what used to be known as the "MSDP DB".  And so should reside on the faster (wider) storage, e.g. a storage shelf, and so, on a 52x0, not on the slower disks in the appliance head unit.

I don't know much about 5330 yet.  Maybe someone else can comment on the speed and type of disks, and/or parity groups, in a 5330.

If you have a choice of disk for your "MSDP Catalog", I'd be inclined to place it on the fastest storage you have access to.  I suspect that the "MSDP Catalog" will experience lots and lots of random read and random write IO.

Nick_Morris
Level 6

Cheers guys for the responses. I am rolling out fully loaded (142TB) 5230 appliances across the estate for a client. From looking at that doc it looks like I'll be putting the MSDP catalog on the expansion shelfs then.

Regards,

Nick