cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP Pool Max Size

Level 3

I am new to Netbackup and was reading through MSDP creation process and stumbled upon on a fact that in 7.6 Netbackup version the maximum size of MSDP pool that can be created is 96 TB.In a 5220 Appliance the max size which can be extended is upto 229 TB.Can some clarify what will happen to the rest of sapce on the appliance.Please update what is the max MSDP pool size for Netbackup 8.0.

9 REPLIES 9

ashokvaleti
Level 4

On a 5220 appliance maximum size a MSDP pool can be extended is till 64 TB.

Rest of space on appliance can be used for a Advanced disk pool

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

a 5220 and 5230 appliance may have a dedup pool whith a capacity up to 144 TB (148/158 if use a mix of external and internal storage which is not best practise).

This is new since NetBackup 7.6 (appl 2.6)

https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/netbackup/whats-new#netbackup (look at 7.6)

with more details:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000022033

the maximum size of a dedup pool of a appliance may differ to them of a msdp pool on a media server.

ciao

tunix2k

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For non-Appliance media servers, you can find max MSDP size in
version 8 NetBackup Deduplication Guide   See p. 41.
(NBU 7.6 reached EOSL a week ago)

Appliance max sizes can be more because Veritas provide and control everything:
hardware, software that includes the Volume Manager and Filesytem, etc.

Herewith doc that includes specs and max sizes of 5240 and 5330.

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

For Appliance maximum size varies based on the model. PFA screenshot which contains the masimum MSDP size for 5230 Small/mid range & large model and 5330 model.

NBU 8.0 version - normal MSDP for SUSE/RHEL host can have maximum size of 96 TB (with 3 volumes) -

1st volume 32 TB - data, configuration & log files

2nd volume 32 TB - data

3rd volume 32 TB - data

Thanks for the information!!!

I have below two questions 

1)Can you please let me know the sizes for 5230 and 5240 Appliance also.

2)If i am not going for the appliance way to store the backups and go with Media Server Deduplication Pool with storage comaing from SAN what will be the maximum size for 7.6,7.7 and 8.0 Netbackup version

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at the pdf that I uploaded earlier?
It contains max sizes for 5240 and 5330.
If you already have 5230 appliance, you can purchase additional storage up to same max size as the 5240.
If you don't - you can no longer purchase one.

About non-Appliance MSDP - the answer is in each of the relevant version's Dedupe Guide.
(See in my previous post what to look for.)

Links to all manuals in Handy NBU Links in my signature.

Sorry for the confusion i only saw hariharan24 reply.Hence i posted my addiitional questions.

Hi Marianne

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

7.6 MSDP maximum size - 64 TB
7.6.1 MSDP maximum size - 96 TB only for SUSE linux / other platforms support 64 TB
7.7.1 MSDP maximum size - 96 TB only for RHEL and SUSE linux / other platforms support 64 TB
8.0 MSDP maximum size - 96 TB only for RHEL and SUSE linux / other platforms support 64 TB

For 5230 appliance model:

MSDP ~144 TB maximum

For 5240 model:

MSDP ~ 200 TB maximum

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

On a Veritas appliance, you can consume all or part of the available space with MSDP.  So on a 5330 appliance, you can actually build a 687TB MSDP pool.  To do that requires 8.0/3.0, and it cannot be done on a version earlier.

MSDP capacity on appliances, as I'm sure you're noticing, pivots on two axes -- model and software version.  The 52x0 models top out at 200TB, where the 5330 tops out at 687TB.

Currently, the MSDP pool can consume the entirety of the appliance, or you can mix and match between Advanced Disk, Copilot share space and MSDP (any or all three) up to the maximum capacity of the system.  So for a 5330, you could take 229TB and use it for Copilot, 229TB and use it for Advanced Disk, and 229TB for MSDP, for example.  Or any other combination of size you want.  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances