Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP - Storage server - Properties calrification required

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Hi

In the properties of my MSDP storage server - I can see the Catalog Logical size, Catalog Files count & Deduplication ratio mentioned in the Storage server properties.

Can you please explain what are these parameters, especially am not sure about the catalog logical size, because the size mentioned is very large than the total size of the Disk pool.????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

catalog logical size is the actaully data that has been saved on the MSDP disk with deduplication..

since MSDP do the dedup it can fit that amount of data in the the Disk pool.

assume you dont have the dedup function.. you would require the space (disk or tape) that is equal to catalog logical size to take the backups..

Deduplication ratio is the one that explines the at what ratio the data is getting deduplicated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

catalog logical size is the actaully data that has been saved on the MSDP disk with deduplication..

since MSDP do the dedup it can fit that amount of data in the the Disk pool.

assume you dont have the dedup function.. you would require the space (disk or tape) that is equal to catalog logical size to take the backups..

Deduplication ratio is the one that explines the at what ratio the data is getting deduplicated.

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Ram, it looks right :)

So, if the dedupe ratio is high - then we are having a good dedupe percentage right????

In simple, if i divide the total logical size with dedupe ratio then i will get the exact utilization of the MSDP disk pool (used size of the MSDP pool) - Am i right Ram?>??

Eg: Approx. Catalog logical size: 525.3 TB

Deduplication Ratio : 9.3

then my Storage pool used space is approximately equal to = 525.3TB/9.3 = 56.4 TB (Approximately)

Am i right with this????

RamNagalla

yes.. if you have good dedupe ratio that indicate your data is getting dedup well and you are saving lot of storage space..

and this dedup ratio is depends on the type of data that you backup... for example.. flat files will have a  good dedupe then the database files.. you see less dedup in database backups...

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Ram for your clarification :)