cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP maximum capacity with 7.6.0.3

Brits
Level 6

hi team,

can you please help me to provide the maximum storage allocation in single MSDP option. I checked the dedupe guide , and found its 64 TB . 

just need expert comments here if its possible to allocate more than 64 TB one single media server.

Also, Can I create more than one MSDP disk pool on the same media server. ( Like D drive - 64 TB , E drive - 64 TB )

media server is windows 2012.

netbackup - 7.6.0.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No problem in using 64TB for MSDP and additional TB for advanced disk. I would recommend using another drive letter for the advanced disk.

MSDP is highly dependant on disk speed

Before using the HDS array test it with nbperfchk. Good speeds are 50MB/sec and up 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO94369

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can only have one MSDP pool per media server. This pool is limited to 64TB right now using "build you're own device." Symante 5230/5320 appliances can go much higer.

Begnning from 7.6.1 "build you're own device go to 96TB using SUSE Linux:

From 7.6.1 release notes:

NetBackup supports 96 TBs of storage in a single Media Server Deduplication Pool on SUSE Linux systems. NetBackup supports this expanded capacity on SUSE Linux systems to help customers transition from the NetBackup PureDisk product and the NetBackup 50xx series of Deduplication Appliances. Both of those products are based on SUSE Linux. More information about the new MSDP features is available in the 7.6.1 version of the NetBackup Deduplication Guide available through the following URL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5332 

Brits
Level 6

thanks Nicolai.

so would I be able to use extra space as advance disk?  In this case , I will not get de-dupe...Am I right ?

Also, I am going to use master server as a media server also , Can I use MSDP option on master server and choose another 64 TB for backup?

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Brits,

Unless you have a boat load of ram and processor on the master server I would advise against making it a media server with MSDP. There are performance issues with this especially if you have a load that requires 64 TB (a potential of 320TB+ pre-dedup) of MSDP. It would be better to make another media server and add create an MSDP there. 

To your question can you create an advanced disk pool with the rest of the disk the answer is yes but again you need to look at how your drives are configured so as to avoid performance issues in both pools. 

Brits
Level 6

thank you Andrew for suggestion.

I have 2 CPU , octa core processor, 2.6 Ghz processor speed , 128 GB RAM on master server so I hope this will not create performance issue? So now, Can I use Master server as a media server & assign 64 TB LUN (create Drive as D:\) and use it as MSDP ? LUN will come from external hitachi storage.

for Adavance disk - Disks are coming from hitachi storage and configured as RAID 6. I hope this will also not create performace issue?

I was also thinking to use my extra space for staging purpose (Not sure if possible or not). Is it possible to take the backup on  MSDP pool and copy the weekly backup data only on extra space. In this way , I can have more space in MSDP pool ? what do you suggest - advance disk or staging disk ?

thanks a lot again for your valuable suggestions.

Brits
Level 6

Andew, I didn't understand one line from your post ----> (a potential of 320TB+ pre-dedup)...

what actually this means here ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No problem in using 64TB for MSDP and additional TB for advanced disk. I would recommend using another drive letter for the advanced disk.

MSDP is highly dependant on disk speed

Before using the HDS array test it with nbperfchk. Good speeds are 50MB/sec and up 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO94369