Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all,

Just want to inquire something about MSDP.

I have a Lab environment using VMware and I tried something. Here is the scenario. I have 1 Master Server and 1 Media Server with MSDP and both NBU 7.7.3 and WinSvr2k12 R2.

Now I tried to delete my Master Server in my ESX and to my domain as well and I preserved my Media Server. I've created a new Master Server with different hostname but same IP. After the installation of NBU I tried to connect my existing Media Server to my new Master Server by editing the Registry, Host File, etc. After that my new NBU Master Server has already saw my existing Media Server in Host Properties so meaning it connects well or there's a cons after that?

Question 1: Is it the best practice of changing the Master Server's hostname or I might to use the same Hostname just like the Hostname of my First Master Server.

Like example: My first Master Server's hostname which I deleted is nbu1, do I need to use nbu1 also for my new Master Server? Or is it okay to change it?

Question 2: Is it affects my MSDP?

Thank you and hope you understand my scenario. :)

God bless and Happy Holidays!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

First of all, there is no easy way to change a name for Master in NBU, usually this needs a consulting engagement and only select partners have tools and expertise to do it. Definitely not a lab task.

If you installing a new server in a lab you can re-use the old host name. It will make a few things easier, for example no need to update SERVER list on clients or Media servers

Next, in order to connect your MSDP to the new Master you need MSDP password, you can replace it in case it is lost - see http://www.veritas.com/docs/100038891

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mouse

First of all, there is no easy way to change a name for Master in NBU, usually this needs a consulting engagement and only select partners have tools and expertise to do it. Definitely not a lab task.

If you installing a new server in a lab you can re-use the old host name. It will make a few things easier, for example no need to update SERVER list on clients or Media servers

Next, in order to connect your MSDP to the new Master you need MSDP password, you can replace it in case it is lost - see http://www.veritas.com/docs/100038891

@Mouse wrote:

jumping in here. if the issue is changing the server list, just do it from DNS. this is why i always insist on our developers to use hostnames or FQDN instead of IP addresses as it makes changing hostnames easier.

you can assign multiple names to an IP address. unless NBU will behave differently if done that way.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

After rebuilding a new master server and re-attaching the intact MSDP media server to the new master server, then you will also need to re-import the backup images, as per @Marianne post here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Import-MSDP-images/td-p/462337

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi @sdo@manatee @Mouse

Thank you for all your feedback.

So the scenario that I was did is wrong? 

Happy new year!

Mouse

I don't think there is anything that is "wrong" to do in a lab environment, it's just a way to establish what works and what does not so it's useful to break things sometimes, to avoid repeating it in production.

@J_Huggins wrote:

Hi @sdo@manatee @Mouse

Thank you for all your feedback.

So the scenario that I was did is wrong? 

Happy new year!

break things apart. put them together again. that's how we learn :)

Happy New Year!