cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL AG netbackup restore warning: Unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria.

a04andno
Level 3

Hi,

My name is Anders and I am working on migrating our old database setup to a new one and going from SQL server 2008 R2 with database mirroring to 2016 with AGs. Unfortunately I have some problems with the backups of the new SQL server databases (Availability groups). The problem is that when I trigger a backup from the secondary node (preferred replica) the backup seems to go throught alright with a “successful” statement at the end but when I search for the backup on the server I get a red dot in front of respective backup and the error message that can be seen below and when I click again on one of the backups I again get a “communicating with server” window. If I try to restore from the client he cannot find any backups at all:

Log from triggered backup from secondary Creplica:

GROUPSIZE 2

OPERATION BACKUP

DATABASE "Test1"

SQLHOST "MSSQL4"

NBSERVER "NETBACKUP1"

MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6

BLOCKSIZE 7

POLICY SQL-MSSQL

NUMBUFS 2

ENDOPER TRUE

OPERATION BACKUP

DATABASE "Test2"

SQLHOST "MSSQL4"

NBSERVER "NETBACKUP1"

MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6

BLOCKSIZE 7

POLICY SQL-MSSQL

NUMBUFS 2

ENDOPER TRUE

INF - Database <Test1> is hosted on an Availability Group secondary replica. Converting backup to copy_only.

INF - BACKUP STARTED USING

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-GDR) (KB4019089) - 13.0.4206.0 (X64)

Jul  6 2017 07:55:03

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

Batch = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__12_51_18_673_00.bch, Op# = 1

INF - Using backup image mssqlcluster.hs.local:MSSQL4/MSSQL7/AG1/db/Test1/~/7/001of001/20170817105228//C

INF - backup database "Test1" to VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-10140-6480-1502967172' with  copy_only,  stats = 10, blocksize = 65536, maxtransfersize = 4194304, buffercount = 2

INF - Number of stripes: 1, Number of buffers per stripe 2.

INF - Availability group database detected. Setting backup catalog name to: mssqlcluster.hs.local

INF - Created VDI object for SQL Server instance <MSSQL4>. Connection timeout is <300> seconds.

Backup started Thu Aug 17 12:54:09 2017

INF - Thread has been closed for stripe #0

INF - OPERATION #1 of batch C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__12_51_18_673_00.bch SUCCEEDED with STATUS 0 (0 is normal). Elapsed time = 145(2) seconds

INF - Database <Test2> is hosted on an Availability Group secondary replica. Converting backup to copy_only.

INF - BACKUP STARTED USING

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-GDR) (KB4019089) - 13.0.4206.0 (X64)

Jul  6 2017 07:55:03

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

Batch = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__12_51_18_673_00.bch, Op# = 2

INF - Using backup image mssqlcluster.hs.local:MSSQL4/MSSQL7/AG1/db/Test2/~/7/001of001/20170817105530//C

INF - backup database "Test2" to VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-10140-6120-1502967355' with  copy_only,  stats = 10, blocksize = 65536, maxtransfersize = 4194304, buffercount = 2

INF - Number of stripes: 1, Number of buffers per stripe 2.

INF - Availability group database detected. Setting backup catalog name to: mssqlcluster.hs.local

INF - Created VDI object for SQL Server instance <MSSQL4>. Connection timeout is <300> seconds.

INF - Thread has been closed for stripe #0

INF - OPERATION #2 of batch C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__12_51_18_673_00.bch SUCCEEDED with STATUS 0 (0 is normal). Elapsed time = 142(1) seconds

INF - Results of executing <C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__12_51_18_673_00.bch>:

<2> operations succeeded. <0> operations failed.

specify.PNGunable2.PNGclient3.PNG

The setup is:

• Windows server 2016 with WSFC.
  • SQL Server 2016 with availability groups (that seems to be working correctly on failovers).
  • Netbackup 7.7.3 (both server and client installed on the SQL server machines).
  • Everything is in a VMware environment (I think it is 6.0.0).

I think I have done everything that I should do from the admin manual for HA support (7.7.2 manual). One thing I come to think of that I have not done yet is to configure permission for redirect restores.  What can be wrong here?

Regards Anders

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Please look at the restore section in the manual, what you have posted is the backup setup section.

Start the Netbackup MS SQL Client to do the SQL restores, not the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think there is some confusion here, you need to use the NetBackup SQL Agent GUI to restore SQL databases as far as I know.

Have not worked with AG, but assume the restore procedure is described in the Netbackup SQL Admin guide.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @a04andno,

Hi,
I agree with @Michael_G_Ander said, there is some confusion here, look below there are some articles that can explain you, step by step how to perform NetBackup restores for SQL

You cannot perform SQL restores via BAR...Except if the backups are SQL DUMPS, and you only copy the .bak files in the backup, but this is not the your case.

Take a look.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000033126 - Step-by-step procedure for using NetBackup to restore a Microsoft SQL Full Backup using a MOVE script

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000028372 - NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server: Performing a database move to the same SQLHOST or to an alternate SQLHOST

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH74475 – A comprehensive list of solutions for the most common NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server database agent backup and restore issues

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000028188 - How to perform a NetBackup for SQL Server alternate server restore operation of a Microsoft SQL Server database file/filegroups backup

Regards,

Thiago

Hi Michael_G_Ander and thank you for answering. As I mentioned I have tried to restore from the client but no backups are found at all after a successful backup. According to the manual it should work with the code "preferredreplica true" in front of every backup command in the batch script when dealing with AGs. I also have created the policy with the two AG clients in the WSFC on the netbackup server. I have read the manual a lot and cant see anything I missed and I have also searched this forum and the Internet for answers. Now I  have created a "altnames" directory with a empty No.Restrictions file but that was also in vein. One theory I have is that the client dont find anything because the backup is under "mssqlcluster" and not under the secondary sql nodename (mssql3.hs.local)? As you can see from my previous mail the backup is put in a mssqlcluster.hs.local directory during the process. But as I said I have followed the manuals when I did the setup so it should work.

Regards Anders

These are the steps from the manual I have followed.

steps.PNG

Please look at the restore section in the manual, what you have posted is the backup setup section.

Start the Netbackup MS SQL Client to do the SQL restores, not the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI.

Thank you guys for your help. It works when I use the client and put the cluster name as the source client, previously I also put the SQL-host there. So now it seems to work fine with my legacy created batch policys.

Regards Anders

Moved:

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified