cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Server backup scheduling

Dje_be
Level 3

Dears,

Thank you very much for reading this post.

I'm using Netback 7.1.0.3 to perform MSSQL database backups.

I went through the MSSQL administration guide and could unfortunately found a clear answer to the question I have. As database backups are quite critical, I would like to have community feedback to make sure I'm on the good way.

Here is the strategy I want to put in place:

- Per SQL Server instance:

1 policy for full database backup.

1 policy for transaction log backup.

Policies are running a .bch script which handle all the databases of one specific instance.

I want to schedule a full database backup every day (volume is ok).

I want to schedule the transaction log backup every 2 hours.

For my full backup, I have a schedule for default application backup 24/7 with a 3 week retentions

My backups are scheduled every day on a specific backup windows (i.e.: 1.00am to 3.00am) with a frequency of 1Day.

For my log backup, I have a schedule for default application backup 24/7 with a 3 week retentions.

My backups are scheduled every day on a specific backup windows (i.e.: 12.30am to 1.00am) with a frequency of 2 hours.

Unfortunately I don't see my log backups re-occuring every 2 hours.

Shall I create 12 schedules, one for every 2 hours ?

I would really appreciate some guidance on how to configure Netbackup scheduling properly to achieve the backup strategy described here above.

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Jerome

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you just mind frequency of log backups and don' t mind its timing, just create one automatic backup schedule with 2 hours frequency.
Otherwise, if you mind timing of log backups, create 12 automatic backup schedules with desired backup window.

Dje_be
Level 3

Thank you for your feedback.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Short backup window like your example  (i.e.: 12.30am to 1.00am) with a frequency of 2 hours will not result in 2-hourly backup - you will end up with a single backup within that window (if resources are available during that period).

I agree with Yasuhisa - create larger backup window (even entire 24 hours) for the Automatic Shedule that will allow 2-hourly frequency.

Dje_be
Level 3

Indeed, I noticed that behaviour.

I extended the scheduled from 00.00AM to 00.00am next day with a frequency of 2 hours. Not really intuitive...

I have some impression that the backups can go out of control and the schedule move from day to day. May be because I'm still not really used to the tool.

Thank you for your feedback.