cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox restore after staging to Tape of Exchange 2010 DAG (GRT enabled) with NetBackup 7.1.0.4

Funghi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have a problem with granular restore.

We have NetBackup 7.1.0.4 on Windows 2008 R2

We make a GRT enabled backup from our Exchange 2010 DAG to Disk.

After the Backup to Disk the Images are duplicated to tape with the staging schedule of the Basic Disk.

When the Backup to Disk is done, than i can see the Mailboxes in the BAR GUI.

But when the staging to tape is done I can only see the databases in the BAR GUI.

The Image on the Disk also exists and when I have looked right, the Image on the Disk is the primary copy.

What wents wrong or what I have to do that I can do an item level restore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To clarify my comments .. it was found on a customers site that once a GRT backup had duplicated, even though it was still on disk, you could no longer see the mailboxes in the BAR GUI (which i think is the issue you have)

It was some sort of a bug (cannot find and EEB referencing it anywhere!!) and was resolved only by not duplicating the GRT information - so uncheck that box and everything is OK again - but you have no GRT information on tape!!!!!

I think the only solutions, as you are on 7.1.0.4, is to upgrade to at least 7.5.0.3 where i am fairly sure it is fixed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check if this has not perhaps been enabled in your environment

Unlike a duplication of a backup that uses Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) from tape to disk, duplication of the same backup from disk to tape takes extra time. NetBackup requires this extra time to catalog the granular Exchange information. You can choose not to catalog the granular information so that the duplication is performed more quickly. However, then users are not able to browse for individual items on the image that was duplicated to tape if the disk copy expires.

During the duplication process, NetBackup writes log entries periodically to show the progress of the job.

To disable the cataloging of Exchange backups using Granular Recovery Technology

1. 1  On the master server, open the NetBackup Administration Console.

2. 2  In the left pane, expand Host Properties.

3. 3  Click Master Servers.

4. 4  In the right pane, right-click the master server click Properties.

5. 5  Click General Server.

6. 6  Uncheck Enable message-level cataloging when duplicating Exchange images that use Granular Recovery Technology.

7. 7  Click OK.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I have seen this on a site and disabling the GRT when writing to tape (mentioned above) fixed it - but it is not really an acceptable workaround to the issue as it means that you loose GRT for anything not on disk - but it did resolve exactly your issue!

I will do some more digging to see if it is an accepted bug and due to be fixed - the site I saw it on was running 7.5 so not just a 7.1 issue by the looks of it.

I will check and get back to you...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Double checked and i believe that they were on 7.1 when they had this issue - I have the feeling it wasn't properly fixed until 7.5.0.3 or thereabouts

Hope this helps - you know what support will say anyway so worth thinking about upgrading!

Funghi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I think unchecking "Enable message-level cataloging when duplicating Exchange images that use Granular Recovery Technology" will only help me with future backup and restores of them.

What is with my old backups?
Can I duplicate the needed image to a Disk STU and make a GRT restore from it?

Or is it better to restore the needed DB to the RDB and will extract the needed data from it?
What happens with the backup image when I duplicate it to a Disk STU with staging enabled?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As it is looking like a bug it is hard to say what wil happen - it is quite possible that after an upgrade everything will work - all of the details should be in the catalog, just not being displayed.

Do remember that once the disk copyhas gone you have to duplicate back from tape to disk to get to mailboxes anyway.

RiaanBadenhorst

Sorry maybe you misunderstood me, i meant verify if its has not been unchecked already. If you uncheck it it means that it WILL NOT catalog the info about individual mails. So if someone had done that you would not get info about indvidual mails when they get moved to tape. If its still checked, then you'll have no issue (it actually faster to browse than when its located on disk)

So, is it checked or unchecked?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

To clarify my comments .. it was found on a customers site that once a GRT backup had duplicated, even though it was still on disk, you could no longer see the mailboxes in the BAR GUI (which i think is the issue you have)

It was some sort of a bug (cannot find and EEB referencing it anywhere!!) and was resolved only by not duplicating the GRT information - so uncheck that box and everything is OK again - but you have no GRT information on tape!!!!!

I think the only solutions, as you are on 7.1.0.4, is to upgrade to at least 7.5.0.3 where i am fairly sure it is fixed.

RiaanBadenhorst

Interesting that it was not able to find it in either place (catalog or on disk) after the duplication. Thanks for clarifying.

Funghi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

@ Riaan:

It is checked!
But I can not see any Mailbox.

@ Mark:

That is exact my problem!

RiaanBadenhorst

Seems you might need to upgrade as Mark said.

Or you could try this. You have the image on tape so make sure you write protect is. Then expire the image on tape. Check if that makes any difference with browsing. If it still doesn't help, copy the backup image on disk to a safe location. Then expire it, and import it again. Maybe that kicks NBU back into gear.

Funghi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have made a duplicate from tape to a new Disk STU and set this to the primary copy.

It does not work!