cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make changes to more than one policy at once

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Hey all,

Simple question: is there a way to make batch changes to all (or some) policies at once instead of clicking on one policy at a time in the GUI. For example, say I want to change the Storage unit used by all the policies, at the moment I'm right clicking on each policy and choosing change and then changing the unit. My gut tells me there must be a CLI way of doing all this in one easy step. I certainly hope there is. Another example would be to disable all the policies at once (without killing all the services)...

TIA

Mark P.
7 REPLIES 7

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Mark,

Yes, you can do mass changes to the policies like changing the storage unit, policy type etc ..

Under the policies you find Summery of all all policies, select this .. on the right pane you find all the policies attributes, whatever policies you wish to change you can select all of them and click on the respective option to change .. for example select 10 policies attributes in the right side pane and click on change it opens a single window .. there you can change .. it applies to all the policies.

NOTE: If you change a single attribute of the selected policies it applies to all.

Raghava.

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Thanks for this Raghava. I had always wondered what the point of the summary was... now I know. For some reason I had never thought of selecting multiple policies from within the summary. I was looking for a CLI solution and didn't need one!

Mark P

Stumpr2
Level 6
Mark,
Don't give up on the CLI method.
I need to change some policies for this weekend because the normal storage unit will be offline. I am going to use bpplinfo to modify a list of policies to use an alternate storage unit.
# for i in `cat /tmp/policylist`
>do
> echo $i
>bppllist $i -modify -residence sopranos
>done
#
I prefer to do it this way so that I have a history of what was changed and I will be able to easily put them back. In fact, I will be able to do this via cron so that I will not have to come in on the weekend. I'll be able to relax at home and let cron do the work for me. I'll be a very happy man when the LA-Z-BOY recliner I recently ordered is delivered. :-)BS

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
For Windows,

for /D %%i in ("C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\class\*.*") do "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpplinfo.exe" %%~ni -set -inactive

will set all policies to inactive when run in a .BAT file.

I guess one has to use scripting for achieving such tasks.

Br,
Deepak.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Mark,
If you use the GUI method then I highly suggest that you make a special backup of
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class

You could just do the special backup, make the changes, do what needs to be done, and then simply restore the "class" directory.

Actually I do daily backups of the class directory because I always seem to need to do a restore :)

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Hi Bob,

I need to overall our Policies. Can I script it (only know basics) so that I can change the following, though these are mainly Schedules..

Retention e.g. if this (3 weeks) change to this (1 month)
Volume Group. e.g. if this (apple) change to this (pear)
Change the Frequency e.g. only for Full Backups (4 Days)
Change of Schedule Names - to keep them consistent

Thanks,
Tim

Stumpr2
Level 6
Hello Tim,
Man, where have you been? You had a flurry of posts and then you vanished. Welcome back!

anyway....
everything you are asking concerns schedules not policies. Checkout the man pages for the following commands
$ pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
$ ls -1 *sched*
bpclsched
bpclschedrep
bpclschedwin
bpplsched
bpplschedrep
bpplschedwin
bpschedreq
bpschedule
bpschedulerep

Probably the most useful would be:
$ man bpplschedrep
Reformatting page. Please Wait... done

Maintenance Commands bpplschedrep(1M)

NAME
bpplschedrep, bpclschedrep - Modify the attributes of a Net-
Backup schedule.

SYNOPSIS
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplschedrep policy_name
sched_label

] ] ] ]

DESCRIPTION
Note: The command name bpclschedrep is being changed to
bpplschedrep. The bpclschedrep command will be
completely replaced by bpplschedrep in a future
release.

bpplschedrep changes the attributes of a NetBackup schedule.
All of the man pages are in a pdf file that should be on the installation CD under "docs" and they also can be downloaded from

http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NBUESVR_view_CL.htm

look for "Commands for UNIX" or "...Windows"

here is one for 5.1
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/268116.pdfMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump