cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master - Acting as Media server / MSDP server - Is it possible to do recovery during disaster scenario

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Am Having one small environment - in that environment - Master server is acting as a Media server, where my MSDP disk pool is configured.,

Which states - master is having MSDP disk pool - there is no other STU available.,

So, my catalog & all other types of backups are routed to this MSDP STU only.,

If my master server goes down due to some server crash or any other reason - is it possible to recover the entire NBU from the MSDP???

Also, we are aware of it - that it is not a best practice of having MSDP on  master server - we are in the process of creating new Media server with MSDP - but before that - is there is any possibility of recovering from Master server - MSDP disk.,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can restore Netbackup catalog from a MSDP pool

Technote: How to recover NetBackup Catalog from an MSDP pool

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173220

But if Netbackup is down, and you need a file to re-establish to get Netbackup going again, you have a genuine catch 22.

So really the the answer is no - you are not able to recreate the entire Netbackup server is it crashes.

The Netbackup Troubeshooting guide has a hole section about DR (chapter 8)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6470

Netbackup AIR may be a good DR soloution for you.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88954

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can restore Netbackup catalog from a MSDP pool

Technote: How to recover NetBackup Catalog from an MSDP pool

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173220

But if Netbackup is down, and you need a file to re-establish to get Netbackup going again, you have a genuine catch 22.

So really the the answer is no - you are not able to recreate the entire Netbackup server is it crashes.

The Netbackup Troubeshooting guide has a hole section about DR (chapter 8)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6470

Netbackup AIR may be a good DR soloution for you.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88954

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
A USB drive connected as Basic or Advanced disk can be used for Catalog backup. Easy to restore from!

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You might want to test this, but as long as the storage is ok, you could re-connect it, then rename the db and data folders (or main folder where you have it stored) Then re-create a MSDP pool with the original information (also need the original username and password you configured MSDP with), then you can stop services, delete the new pool, and rename your old pool to it.

Then you should be able to run a nbcatsync against the DR file to adjust the media ID in it for the new pool.

Just a working thought, but totally plausible.

Marianne

Herewith my own experience with import of MSDP backups:

Import MSDP images 

For DR-file - important that you store this off-host or at least get a copy emailed to yourself as part of catalog backup.

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Hi., Thanks all for your response!

If my master server ( where my MSDP pool resides) gets crashed - during recovery, will it allow us to recreate an MSDP pool on the same storage where the old data & database directories exist in MSDP storage..?

And if it allows us to recreate an MSDP pool on the same Storage with same disk pool name where i got it from DR file - After recreating what is the next step before starting the recovery ???

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Nicolai - the link you had provided was having different scenario - that Master & MSDP media server are different, Disk pool is not residing in Master server - it is hosting in a seperate media server.,

Here in my case am having master which acts as a media server - which hosts the MSDP pool., so my catalog backup is also going to that MSDP pool.,

@mariane - Yes you are right - USB stick is a good option to go with to take catlog backup alone to an USB., but customer is not happy to have USB stick on the server due to some security concerns.,

After creating MSDP in the crashed master server, Any steps to perform before running recovery..? like import or any other? since my catalog backup is also residing in that pool.,

am little bit worry now., whether it could be recover or not.. :(

Marianne

IMHO - TECH173220 in Nicolai's post is very much applicable. 
Steps will be the same if master is also media server.

1. Record/note/save MSDP Credentials used when initially setting up the MSDP pool

2. Make Catalog backup Disaster Recovery (DR) file available.

3. Attach MSDP disk to same path as before

4. Create Storage Server with nbdevconfig command as per the TN.

5. Add credentials as per TN

6. Follow rest of TN....

PS:

If customer does not want to add USB drive, then maybe suggest a 2nd internal hard drive.
Or network mount where Basic DSU is configured with UNC path.

In the end, you can only make suggestions and recommendations.
The customer needs to take ownership and make a choice.

hariharan24
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Nicolai & Marianne... we will go with this steps for recovering the Master.

Also am not sure what credentials has been used for configuring MSDP - in the TN it is mentioned to check the user name in the below mentioned path for UNIX :

Unix/Linux: <msdp_path>/databases/spa/database/authentication/1

In my environment i can see the below.,

0|MSDP|235a8a778d9aeb9be5862168d517ab0c|

This means is "MSDP" is the user name used to configure storage server earlier or??? any other stuffs?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

the credentials for the MSDP should be document by the one who installed the MSDP pool.

username is MSDP (just verified with my own MSDP pool).Not having the MSDP password in a DR scenario is bad (really bad).  it is not possible to re-create the password from the hash value. 

But I bet they know what to do if you log a support case, it is not the first time nor is it the last time password for MSDP pool is forgot.