cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server DR Solution

peterblue
Level 3

We currently have a Standalone Linux RedHat 6 Master Server running 8.1.1.

In our DR site, I have another Red Hat 6 Server that pre 8 we used as the DR Master Server. This has a different hostname, which until now has never been a problem. Also now running 8.1.1.

We replicate the catalog using replicated storage.

Apart from the host names, they are the same.

What I was planning to do, was to stop NBU on the current Master, shut it down, fail over the storage, and then rename the other Master to the same name as the original Master Server using - hostname new-name

Then restart NetBackup.

Tried this, but it just sits on: -

NetBackup network daemon started.
NetBackup Database Server started.
NetBackup Authentication daemon started.
NetBackup Authorization daemon started.
NetBackup Audit Manager started.
Starting NetBackup Web Management Console could take a couple of minutes ...........................

And doesn't go any further. Is there a way to get it to, or are there any particular files i need to copy across ?. Or, can I re-install wmc so it picks up the temporary hostname, as it has files pointing to what the proper name is/was, and not what I want it to be.
As I do not want to re-issue all the certificates from the Master with the different name.

Or, is there a better way. Not looking at AIR, or Clustering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can't rename NBU master, unless you are a certified partner, it's not a publicly available procedure and requires certain licensed tools.

As an end user you have two options.

1. Uninstall NBU in DR and install it with a new host name from the production master. Replace EMM and catalog files with replicated volumes post-installation

2. Better option long term but requires a bit of changes in production. Virtualize the host name of your production master, that is, change the physical host name and IP of the current server and make the current IP/Hostname as alias interface of that server. Put required alias in EMM and DNS/hosts. When you do the failover, you just plumb that alias interface on the DR master. You will still need to reinstall NBU in DR to use that virtual floating host name but at least you will be able to do failover-failback relatively easy. This feature is described in the  Veritas NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide guide along with some references to limitations, notable one is no support for NBAC in this configuration. The chapter you need called " About non-clustered NetBackup master server with catalog replication" - read it carefully

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse

You can't rename NBU master, unless you are a certified partner, it's not a publicly available procedure and requires certain licensed tools.

As an end user you have two options.

1. Uninstall NBU in DR and install it with a new host name from the production master. Replace EMM and catalog files with replicated volumes post-installation

2. Better option long term but requires a bit of changes in production. Virtualize the host name of your production master, that is, change the physical host name and IP of the current server and make the current IP/Hostname as alias interface of that server. Put required alias in EMM and DNS/hosts. When you do the failover, you just plumb that alias interface on the DR master. You will still need to reinstall NBU in DR to use that virtual floating host name but at least you will be able to do failover-failback relatively easy. This feature is described in the  Veritas NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide guide along with some references to limitations, notable one is no support for NBAC in this configuration. The chapter you need called " About non-clustered NetBackup master server with catalog replication" - read it carefully

Thanks Mouse.

Genericus
   VIP   

LOL, I did this years ago on Solaris, just by updating the /etc/hosts file so that the master server ip was the same as the DR host.

We used VVR Veritas Volume Replicator to replicate the /usr/openv file system to DR for several years.

It is likely that with the newer versions you cannot spoof it like you once could.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Mouse

While you can utilize the same old school method, you'll need to use the same host name as in production during NBU installation (method 1). Since NBU 6.x, the host name of Master is hard coded in EMM and does not have a publicly available rename procedure