cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server IP problem

santave
Level 4

Hi,

I have master server and 2 media servers running redhat linux with nbu 7.5.0.6, let say the OS hostname : master1, media1 and media2
All the servers have 2 NIC for production IP (10.53.9.x) and backup IP (10.53.10.x)
When installed nbu, I wrote this entry in hostfile:
#Backup IP
10.53.10.10 master1
10.53.10.11 media1
10.53.10.12 media2

Now, my Linux admin ask me to change the host entry, like this: ( addtional "b" will be for backup)
#Prod IP
10.53.9.10 master1
10.53.9.11 media1
10.53.9.12 media2
#Backup IP
10.53.10.10 master1b
10.53.10.11 media1b
10.53.10.12 media2b

What changes I need to apply in netbackup server and clients to make backup run ok.

Thanks,
Santave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I still get the feeling that you have not gone through the TNs that I have posted yesterday....

Don't replace the hosts entries - add them to /etc/hosts. Exactly as per your opening post.

Because NBU was installed with the names on the .9 subnet, you cannot remove these hosts entries or bp.conf entries. NBU will stop working. Especially on the master server.

You will see in TECH54733 that the original master server name is still the 1st entry in bp.conf and that the name on the 2nd network is added as additional SERVER entry. 

The clients only need to know about the 'b' names and IP addresses for the master and media servers in their hosts files and only 'b' names in bp.conf for SERVER entries. 
Change their CLIENT_NAME entries to the 'b' network names.

Please draw your network picture as in TECH54733, fill in your hostnames and then add hosts entries.
Test network comms at OS level with commands like ping and traceroute between servers and clients.

If OS comms is fine, add bp.conf entries. 
Restart NBU on Master server after additions to bp.conf.

Test NBU comms with bpclntcmd commands.

Clear NBU host cache if bpclntcmd commands do not give expected output. (see TNs above...)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

how the entries in the bp.conf

are they like

master1
 media1
 media2

or 

master1b
 media1b
 media2b

if they without "b", chanding them is more or less renaming the master server 

you can still also do this without renaming the master server but that brigns lot of complexity on the hosts file. .. so  i would not recommend that...

have  call with symantec support and and get the recommendations and perfrom along with them.

Marianne
Level 6

Hopefully you have forced the 2 IPs on different subnets with netmasks entries?

Best to add hosts entries on master, media server and clients for the 'b' hostnames and IPs.

Ensure the 'b' names are added as SERVER entries to all clients.

'b' names must be used as Client names in backup Policies.
Media servers will know that 'b' network must be used for Client comms.

See all of these TNs:

DOCUMENTATION: How network interfaces are selected in NetBackup 6.x/7.x when there are multiple NICs on a NetBackup host.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54733

How to verify name resolution for NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27430

When and how to clear the NetBackup host cache
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136792

santave
Level 4

But, currently its already installed nbu with server hostname without 'b'

If I add host entry with b, how nbu recognize it? will my nbu master still able to run without problem?
Does it like renaming master server as Nagalla said?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Have you had a look at the TNs that I have posted above?

As long as you have hosts entries as well as SERVER entries for all the 'b' names, with 'b'-names as Client names in policies, NBU will know to use the backup network.

Please confirm that different subnets are configured via netmasks entries.

There is also a section in the Troubleshooting Guide that explains NBU config with backup network.

santave
Level 4

yes, subnets are configured via netmask entries.

My concern is about the master and media servers host entry, currently nbu installed with hostname without b.
If I change host entry with b now, should I just make changes in bp.conf and it will work?

Marianne
Level 6

I still get the feeling that you have not gone through the TNs that I have posted yesterday....

Don't replace the hosts entries - add them to /etc/hosts. Exactly as per your opening post.

Because NBU was installed with the names on the .9 subnet, you cannot remove these hosts entries or bp.conf entries. NBU will stop working. Especially on the master server.

You will see in TECH54733 that the original master server name is still the 1st entry in bp.conf and that the name on the 2nd network is added as additional SERVER entry. 

The clients only need to know about the 'b' names and IP addresses for the master and media servers in their hosts files and only 'b' names in bp.conf for SERVER entries. 
Change their CLIENT_NAME entries to the 'b' network names.

Please draw your network picture as in TECH54733, fill in your hostnames and then add hosts entries.
Test network comms at OS level with commands like ping and traceroute between servers and clients.

If OS comms is fine, add bp.conf entries. 
Restart NBU on Master server after additions to bp.conf.

Test NBU comms with bpclntcmd commands.

Clear NBU host cache if bpclntcmd commands do not give expected output. (see TNs above...)

santave
Level 4

Thanks Marianne