Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server Migration

P_Kesavan
Level 4
Certified

Hello All ,

I have a requirement to move master server data from one site to different site , as we retireing that site entirely.

Existing Master : Windows 2k8 R2 , 773

New Master      :  Windows 2k12 773

In  my existing master server , I have the following :

1. VTL

2. Library 

3. MSDP (only for replication , i do not need the data anymore)

How to plan this catalog migration :

1 ) Now , Is it fine if move the image database from my old master to new master ?

or 

2 ) Move the entire catalog from the old master to new master ?

Please advice .

Kesavan.P
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I understand, what I'm saying is that the comms is from DD to DD, so an additional address on master or media will probably not make a difference and is probably not required.

Master/media talks to DD1 across the IP its using currently for backup. As is, that address would be used by DD1 to talk to DD2. If you want to use a specific address for replication, you can add DD1-1 to talk to DD2-1, but when the master talks to it, it would still do so across DD1.

Feel free to explain the network layout if you want.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst
If you can retain the name of the master you can just do a catalog restore on the new master. If not, you'll need consulting services to migrate/merge into the new master

Thanks @RiaanBadenhorst

Point 1 :

In  my case , i have the possbility to keep the same master name on the new site but not the same IP address.

Will that Ip change cause any issue ?

Point 2 :

Going forward i do not need those old STU , Poilcy names so if restore only the image database .. will i be able to complete the migration successfully . or going with entire catalog would be most effective ?

Kesavan.P

RiaanBadenhorst
You have to restore the full catalog as the image and mediadb are interrelated. You can delete unwanted storage units, policies, etc afterwards.

@RiaanBadenhorst- I got it and Thanks for that .

One last question :

I am planning to add one more NIC to all my master and media servers which will be used for replications from site 1 to site 2 DD.

But i would want to use the existing prod IP for backup purpose which is being used all these days .

I assume , backups will not be affected due to new addition of NICs right ?

Kesavan.P

RiaanBadenhorst
Dd replication doesn't go via the master/media. Is direct from dd to dd so no need for additional nics

@RiaanBadenhorst

Thanks for the reply !! But let me explain you the scenerio here in my case.

I have the existing backup setup which has the production is being used.

I am adding one more IP to my mater , Media and DD which should be used only for replications , ie., AIR.

Site to Site AIR - i will be using this new IP address from DD to DD.

Adding this New ip will have any impact to my local backups which uses the prod nic

Kesavan.P

RiaanBadenhorst

I understand, what I'm saying is that the comms is from DD to DD, so an additional address on master or media will probably not make a difference and is probably not required.

Master/media talks to DD1 across the IP its using currently for backup. As is, that address would be used by DD1 to talk to DD2. If you want to use a specific address for replication, you can add DD1-1 to talk to DD2-1, but when the master talks to it, it would still do so across DD1.

Feel free to explain the network layout if you want.

Thanks @RiaanBadenhorst for your interest in explaning for me !!

I got the clarity now .

My DD to DD will use the new IP address for replcation as i will be specifiying the same from DD GUI.

My Backup & Restore use the existing IP Address.

As per your advice , the new IP address is required only for DD not for master and media .

Is my understaning correct .

Kesavan.P

RiaanBadenhorst

Its a pleasure, and yes your understanding is correct. If you face any issues let us know.

Thanks!!

Kesavan.P