cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server reaching full on its disk space

Corruptcache
Level 3

HI ,

We have NBU 7.0.1 master , 6.5.6 media  running on Linux 5 .

1. The issue is i am seeing the mounted LUN on to this master is hitting 90% of its storage. my question is if any backup meets its retention , will that expired images / database  gets deleted from image database by image clean-up job (runs every 12 hours) and will i see the space increasing on the master server.

2. If i verify and expire any unwanted  images manually under CATALOG on the NBU Console , will that increase space on the Master.

3. If i use compression on this database will that effect any restore process.

Please suggest any best practise on this situatiion or any way that i can get the space emptied on the master.

Raj.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Images have specific retention period because of business requirements. 
How would you decide which images are 'unwanted'?

Image expiration and image cleanup will delete expired images from image database, but bear in mind that you are constantly adding new images each time backups run.

Please read up in Admin Guide I about ways to deal with growing images:
1) Catalog compression
2) Catalog archiving 
3) Add additional disk, move images, create sym-link

In the meantime, check to see if high level logging is enabled for legacy and unified logs and 'days to keep logs setting' in Host Properties on master. Default is 28 days. Most of our customers feel that 7 days are enough. 
Check for unecessary legacy log folders on master - only logs that are really needed on master are:
admin, bprd, bpdbm.
If master server is also media server: bptm, bpbrm. If DSU on master, bpdm as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Images have specific retention period because of business requirements. 
How would you decide which images are 'unwanted'?

Image expiration and image cleanup will delete expired images from image database, but bear in mind that you are constantly adding new images each time backups run.

Please read up in Admin Guide I about ways to deal with growing images:
1) Catalog compression
2) Catalog archiving 
3) Add additional disk, move images, create sym-link

In the meantime, check to see if high level logging is enabled for legacy and unified logs and 'days to keep logs setting' in Host Properties on master. Default is 28 days. Most of our customers feel that 7 days are enough. 
Check for unecessary legacy log folders on master - only logs that are really needed on master are:
admin, bprd, bpdbm.
If master server is also media server: bptm, bpbrm. If DSU on master, bpdm as well.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

1. The issue is i am seeing the mounted LUN on to this master is hitting 90% of its storage. my question is if any backup meets its retention , will that expired images / database  gets deleted from image database by image clean-up job (runs every 12 hours) and will i see the space increasing on the master server.

Yes once images expire they will be removed from db/images/

2. If i verify and expire any unwanted  images manually under CATALOG on the NBU Console , will that increase space on the Master.

See above!

3. If i use compression on this database will that effect any restore process.

Catalog compression does affect querying the catalog (when you're looking for files in the restore gui) as it is slower. Actual restore performance isn't supposed to be affected