cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master in logical domain as Robotic Control Host?

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

*** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-75-under-ldoms ***

The fact of media servers supported only for disk storage units, makes me wonder how the master would behave as the Robotic Control Host.

Currently our master under Solaris 10 (physical) manages the robotic library, so is the only one server (cluster) in the environment which sees the robotic arm. Rest of media servers share the drives using SSO.

Because of HW replacement, new master will be hosted in logical domains, Would we need to configure one of the physical media servers with the role of robotic control host?

In that case, how will you proceed in case of disaster of this Media server? I suppose that we can move the role to another server, right?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes,

you need to find the more reliable Physical media server to take the responisiblity of the Robot contorl host..

and in case of disaster of this Media server, the only option left is to move the role of Robot control host to another avaliable media server.

so make sure the robot is visible to all media servers in Scan level, but configure as robot control host one media server.. and in case of disaster of this Media server, you can ealily swith to another media server.. with out worring about the physicall connectivity and Zoning and all..

this is the reason i would perfer to have the robot control host to Master server... as we can not risk all tapes jobs due to one Media server issue...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

yes,

you need to find the more reliable Physical media server to take the responisiblity of the Robot contorl host..

and in case of disaster of this Media server, the only option left is to move the role of Robot control host to another avaliable media server.

so make sure the robot is visible to all media servers in Scan level, but configure as robot control host one media server.. and in case of disaster of this Media server, you can ealily swith to another media server.. with out worring about the physicall connectivity and Zoning and all..

this is the reason i would perfer to have the robot control host to Master server... as we can not risk all tapes jobs due to one Media server issue...

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Nagalla, I agree with you on keeping the robotic control host role at the master (is the only cluster in our environment). But new HW won't support it.

I suppose that the following link includes the steps to folllow in order to switch the role:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH30490&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1391195126586vm852WTeMTjn98Q7mP1S1qkUzje9LkM9pJ6JY

RamNagalla

yah.. good luck..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The fact of media servers supported only for disk storage units, makes me wonder how the master would behave as the Robotic Control Host.

Have you had a look at this doc?

NetBackup Support for Oracle Solaris Virtualization
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH162994

It says the following about support for Solaris 10 in Local Zones: 

Local Zone server support:
All NetBackup components supported with Solaris 10 physical media servers are supported in a Solaris 10 whole root local zone. 
Local zone support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server, media server and Bare Metal Restore client (as described in the Bare Metal Restore Administrators Guide).

It also explains how  the sg driver and related utilities/libraries need to be moved from the local zone to the global zone in order to do initial device configuration. 

About Solaris 10 Logical Domains (LDoms) Support the doc says the following:

All NetBackup components supported with Solaris 10 SPARC physical servers are supported in a Solaris 10 LDoms Control Domain with the exception of Bare Metal Restore (server or client). Guest domain support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server and disk media server.

This lack of support for Media Manager storage includes tape libraries.

So, no support for tape or library/robot for Master server in a guest domain.

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Marianne for the reference. I read it before opening the thread and that´s why we were wondering about moving robotic control host to a physical media server.

Anyway I´ve opened a case with support asking about installing the master in a I/O ldom domain, which will have access to physical resoureces, but seems that this solution is also not supported.

Thanks all for the help.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Master server is supported in Solaris 10 LDOM, just not with Media Manager storage units (incl robot control). Only Disk.
So, you can have a Solaris 10 master server in LDOM with robot control and tape drives on physical media servers or in Local Zone.

Media Manager STU is supported with Solaris 10 Local Zone.