Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master migration from solaris (SPARC) to linux SLES11

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

We plan to migrate a Master 7.1.0.2 under Solaris 10 (SPARC) to Linux SLES 11 (VM).

We have tried on a test platform and the result seems to be like this :

• images and policies  have been restored correclty
  • EMM seems to be empty (no storage units, volume pools or medias are presents)

A second test is running this night after having created trhe Linux VM from scratch (the precedent platform was done by the customer himself and I was not on site at this time, so I can't verify what has been done or not).

I have to tell that the new master keeps the old name and the old master becomes a media server with a different name.

Symbolic links and paths presents ont the Solaris Master have been created on the VM.

If someone as an idea ...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have personally done this a couple of months ago.

The requirements and process is described in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Care has to be taken that hostname and paths are the same. On Solaris, the default installation is /opt/openv with symbolic link to /usr/openv. On Linux, the default installation path is /usr/openv.
Create up-front symbolic link the other way round or else specify installation path as /opt (this is what I did during migration exercise).

Restore job details as well as log in  /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/root/logs/Recover#### needs to be checked to confirm that all catalog components have been restored successfully.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have personally done this a couple of months ago.

The requirements and process is described in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Care has to be taken that hostname and paths are the same. On Solaris, the default installation is /opt/openv with symbolic link to /usr/openv. On Linux, the default installation path is /usr/openv.
Create up-front symbolic link the other way round or else specify installation path as /opt (this is what I did during migration exercise).

Restore job details as well as log in  /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/root/logs/Recover#### needs to be checked to confirm that all catalog components have been restored successfully.

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you Marianne,

It seems to wok fine without doing anything else.

Restroe job of this night has completed normally and all catalogs datas seems to be right here.

So, I confirm we can migrate Master Server catalogs 7.1.x from Solaris 10 (SPARC) to Linux SLES11 (vitrualized) wihtout any issues.

This operation have been performed with same servename (master) and same links than original.

Best regards